Ant in sand pump

Apr 29, 2015
Ok hope this is in the right place. I keep having ants build mounds inside my pump and salt water generator.

Anyone else have this problem or a solution. I lost one pump that was stored and I never noticed they had built up in the housing. Pull the pump to use and it's rusted shut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Unclear on your problme, it sounds like you are saying the ants get in there when you are stored for the winter. My boss has a DE filter for his pool and he mentioned the other day that Ants seem to hate the DE he apearntly has alot aound his yard except where he backwashes.

Makes me wonder if you were to add a little DE to your sand filter would that keep them out, I do not have a sand or DE filter so I would want someone with experiance to chime in on the idea espcaly the amount to add if they think it is even a good idea in the first place.

For general pest control I used to go to the hardware store and by Ortho or black flag whatever the house brand was. $20 or so bucks later I would come home and spray the stuff all around and hope for the best I was never happy with the results. I finally turned to the web and found do my own pest control. They are not the only site just the one I landed on I bought a bottle of Termidor SC. It was more money than I have ever spent at one time on bug killer but 2 years later I still have 1/4 of the bottle. If I were still going to the hardware store I would have spent $150 or more for gallons of stuff that doesn't work. I spray around the house every 4 to 6 weeks (less in the winter) and the only ants or any bug for that matter I see are in the back of the yard that I don't often spray. Do yourself a favor stay away from the watered down residential bug killer buy professional grade stuff use it as directed and I think you will be happier.

Thanks for the suggestions. DE pool grade would be great if it works. I always keep a little on hand to help clear up my water and make my sand filter work a little better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Because pool grade DE is calcinated, it's not supposed to be used around animals or humans outside of an enclosed filter. Both would work equally well in repelling ants, but pool grade shouldn't be sprinkled around in the soil. It's most dangerous when inhaled, not sure how hazardous pool grade would be if ingested but likely only would be dangerous is ingested chronically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.