FAS-DPD kit arrived last night and WOW

Jul 10, 2013
Northern Howell, NJ
I don't know how I lived without this test for so long. You may recall from some of my comments in other threads that I am running my pool with a higher CYA than I have in the past. Hence I need to run a higher FC level as per the Cl/CYA chart.

I have been slowly playing with my SWG settings to see how low of a %'age I can go and still maintain my required 3 - 5 ppm FC levels @ 70 ppm CYA. Well my current plain old DPD test (5 drops of R-0001 % 5 drops of R-0002) only goes up to 5ppm.

I started at 75% and everyday I would lower it (65%, 50%, 35%, 25%, 20% etc) and check FC every night. Well at the higher stages of that test I was always reading 5ppm (which I now know was actually higher).

Fast forward to last night where I had the SWG set to 20% all day. First I pulled out the plain old DPD kit. This was the first time that I could say it wasn't so pink that it was 5ppm or above. But it was clearly darker than the 3.0 mark. So I called it a 4.0

NEXT I pull out the FAS-DPD, which I had never used before in all my years of owning a pool.
- 10ml pool water
- heaping scoop of powder (couldn't believe how bright pink that water turned).
- now started the drops... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (start swirling really good), 7, 8 (ooh a little change), 9 (BAM - completely clear).
- 9.0 X .5 = 4.5ppm (couldn't believe the accuracy)

Now onto the CC test:
- 5 drops R-0003 absolutely ZERO change in the clearness of the water

This is the ABSOLUTE first time that I can say with confidence that I have a CC level of 0.0. With my old test, you are supposed to add 5 drops of R-0003 after you obtain your FC level and see if the solution got darker. Well toward the top of that comparator, it's just too subjective. I mean if I am already close to the 5ppm color it is very difficult to determine 'darker'.

With the FAS-DPD, there is no shadow of a doubt. It either changes back to pink or it doesn't. Plain and Simple. Very happy I got this test.

As far as my trial and error with my cell is concerned. I am now going to start increasing the %'age every day so I can get an accurate FC level at those higher settings. Today I set it 25% (A 5% bump). My guess is that I am going to settle in somewhere between 25 - 30% and maintain 5 - 6ppm.

Being a new user of the FAS-DPD test I have a question:

Why does the completed mixture turn red once again when you dump the sample back into the pool when you are done with the test?

By "completed mixture", let me tell you exactly what I did:
10ml pool water
one rounded scoop of powder
9 drops of R-0871 (turned clear)
5 drops of R-0003 (Still Clear)

Dump that back in pool and a red/pink/purple cloud forms, eventually fades to orange, then brownish yellow and finally dissipates.

Not really understanding the chemistry behind why throwing such a small sample in such a large body of water is reacting like this. What's the completed sample sensing that isn't already in the vial?

Being a new user of the FAS-DPD test I have a question:

Why does the completed mixture turn red once again when you dump the sample back into the pool when you are done with the test?

By "completed mixture", let me tell you exactly what I did:
10ml pool water
one rounded scoop of powder
9 drops of R-0871 (turned clear)
5 drops of R-0003 (Still Clear)

Dump that back in pool and a red/pink/purple cloud forms, eventually fades to orange, then brownish yellow and finally dissipates.

Not really understanding the chemistry behind why throwing such a small sample in such a large body of water is reacting like this. What's the completed sample sensing that isn't already in the vial?

Mike this is suggested in FAS-DPD directions.

Dispose of the sample safely. It is best to pour it down the drain with the water running. Do not add it back to the pool.
Rinse the sample tube with tap water and store for next time.

DKT113 - I have a Speed Stir. Agree. It's great.

As far as the other posts above, I hear you about not dumping back in the pool. I have read Pool School. Many times. Refer to it quite often. Have it bookmarked and any info that I need quite frequently is printed out and taped to the inside of of a kitchen cabinet by the back door. The question wasn't procedural, it was chemical.

Mike I apologize for incorrectly responding.

We have well water so FAS-DPD never changes when rinsing test container. If we add pool water sample back into test container it changes color.

One of our Chemical guru will have to explain why it changes back when water with chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.