Dont want to ruin a birthday party HELP!!!!

Apr 20, 2016
Blue Ridge Virginia
Last nights test at 7pm EST:
FC-17.5
CC-1.0
PH-7.2-7.5
TA-60
CYA-30-40
I noticed yesterday when I got home from work that my FC was down from 8 to 2.5 from the previous evening. So I know I have something growing eating away at my chlorine. I brought the pool to SLAM levels around 6pm. Between 6-7 I lost no FC. I got up this morning at 5:45 and retested the water for FC and the levels were at 13. I added my last gallon of 10% LC and had to go to work. I know what needs to be done but I have a small problem. My little girls 5th birthday party is tomorrow. AND of course its a pool party. My water is crystal clear but I am loosing FC pretty quick. Do I need to break her heart and cancel the swimming or can I just keep the FC relatively high through tomorrow afternoon then proceed with the true SLAM. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby

If it were mine I would keep it up to SLAM level until shortly before the pool and then crash FC down to safe swim levels using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, which will consume FC at roughly a 1:1 ratio that household bleach raises FC. In other words a gallon of common dollar store / drug store Hydrogen Peroxide will lower FC by about the amount a gallon of bleach raises it. Dollar General around here has it in quart bottles for under $1 each so it is fairly cheap, and reacts rapidly with FC.

Ike

p.s. if you want the science to back this up see Hydrogen Peroxide is a Dechlorination Alternative | USP Technologies

I can defiantly do that. I honestly wouldn't care if it cost me $500.00 as long as the little one has a blast tomorrow.

I don't blame you.
My understanding after being here a short period of time is Post #2 would be what I would do.
Keep that pH in check and no one will know...and don't tell the spouse what is going on....they will worry even though everything is fine!

My wife is defiantly a worry wart too. I am leaving work at 11 today and go home to brush, vacuum, and monitor FC at SLAM levels. Just tell her that I am making sure its perfect for tomorrow. :cool:

I might differ from the experts on here, but that's what I would do.
See what it dropped (not using OTO test of course) add what is needed and check first thing in the morning.
Advantage is it is crystal clear...and with those kids tomorrow, you will need the extra FC anyway.
have a blast!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.