Bubble wrap solar covers, how do you stow yours?

Jun 5, 2013
I've used a bubble wrap solar cover for years now. I always buy the cheapest clear one money can buy, and seem to get about 2 years from one cover. It is typically TOTALLY destroyed by the end of season two. We can do the "Get what you pay for" discussion, but I'd rather find out how you roll your cover up to use the pool.

I have a hand crank reel job. Works fine if you're slow and methodical, I've got to babysit it while I roll it up. Make sure it doesn't start a wrinkle when first wrapping, keep the first roll flat, and keep the cover from walking to one end or the other by tugging it toward center. This may all seem common sense ish, but can I do anything to make it fool proof? My idea would be to attach a solid rod of some form to the front edge, perhaps one or two near the middle, and another at the end, to keep the cover from wrinkling, and hopefully keep it square as you roll it up. The reason I ask is my boys are 5, 4, and 2 now, and the oldest two are REALLY taking to the pool these days. Often swim while I'm at work. I usually was the one to uncover the pool, but with their new enthusiasm, I want to figure out a way THEY can wrap, and unroll the cover easily, without me.

Any tips? Suggestions? Thanks!

BTW, "Have mom do it" seems like a logical suggestion. But she's juggling my twin girls (about 7 months old) while keeping an eye on the three boys. She's got enough on her hands, trying to think of a way my kids can do this easily by themselves.

(Last note, "By themselves" does not mean they are UNATTENDED at the pool. While the older two are quite good swimmers already, we still keep hawkeyes on them, and a puddle jumper on the wee one too.)

I've never owned a solar blanket until this year, but I followed another thread on creating a roller out of foam core abs pipe that I got from Menards and attached to the cover via plastic rivets. It's taking some learning for deploying back into the pool, but after the 2nd time I think I've got it.

Here's the thread that I followed:
DIY Solar Cover Roller

Actually, solar covers are not a get what you pay for product. They are a buy the cheapest and thinnest one you can find because they all seem to last 2-3 years and the 8 mil covers are quite a bit easier to handle.

I've never owned a solar blanket until this year, but I followed another thread on creating a roller out of foam core abs pipe that I got from Menards and attached to the cover via plastic rivets. It's taking some learning for deploying back into the pool, but after the 2nd time I think I've got it.

Here's the thread that I followed:
DIY Solar Cover Roller

This is a clever solution. However, I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I have a rectangular pool with a simple 32" x 14" cover. It rolls nicely up onto an aluminum pipe on rollers at one end of the pool. The best method may be to simply teach my 5 year old how to roll it up without kinking the cover, but it is a bit tricky.

I like the idea of attaching a dowel rod or somesort to the edge of the cover to keep it completely level as it goes onto the rod, but I'm not sure what to use. Ideally it would be no bigger than 1/2" total diameter if I attach it to the cover, but I suppose large lumps on the reel aren't that big a deal.

Thanks for the reassurance pooklv, I've feared that my going cheap on a cover is making me have to replace them too frequently, as I feared that bigger money didn't equate to a longer lasting cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.