TF100 vs. pool store test - getting different results????

vinnie

Mar 12, 2009
Just rec'd my TF100 yesterday and I did all of the test yesterday and then again today. Then I took a sample of my water to a pool store by my house and had the water tested. They have some sort of electronic tester that is connected to a computer. I'm getting some very different results and I'm not sure if i'm making a mistake or if the tester at the pool store is off which I wouldn't think since it seems pretty high end.

The two that are off the most are FC and TA

TF100 FC - 7.5 vs. 5.1 from store

TF100 TA - 140 vs. 80 from store

Any ideas??

As a general rule, trust your results over any pool stores.

Do you have reason to believe your FC test is in error? Their reading was taken from a strip (I'm almost sure).....not nearly as accurate as the FAS/DPD test you have.

The TA test in the TF100 kit has an issue that may be making your results too high. When you start counting the drops of R-0009, Do they appear smaller than the other drops or sort of "jump" off the dropper tip? Static electricity between the bottle and the R-009 will frequently cause that.

Try the test again and this time wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth or paper towel in between each drop. That insures a normal drop size and may well lower your test result.

Always trust your testing over the pool store. Their tests are designed to sell chemicals.

Also, I have yet to see a water sample NOT lose FC 'on the way' to the pool store, speaking of my personal experiences and reading many others on TFP. :lol:

You have the best test kit on the market, imho. After a little practice, along with looking at your sparkling pool, you will become comfortable with trusting your testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.