New O/B in Vegas

LVAC

May 21, 2016
Las Vegas, Nv
Hi all..I'm glad to be here and ready to tap into all the experience and ideas that this forum offers. We have been busy calling subs and getting estimates and ideas. Not as hard as we thought but at times a bit overwhelming for sure.

We we just got our HOA approval and my wife was excited to go to the city to pull permits tomorrow Friday but of course they are closed on Fridays. First delay encountered, lol. We have settled on an exacavator & plumber (will let us buy all pool equipment at wholesale for no up charge). Close to settling on an electrician, steel/rebar, and shotcrete. The other trades we need are still sending us estimates.

We we are going to need some help with equipment, decking options and pool finish ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for listening Adam

Welcome to TFP, Adam!! Great looking pool design! You crazy guys who do owner build! OMG, I can't even imagine! You have my complete respect! :bowdown:

You can have as much or as little help that you want. Just let us know! Do you have before pictures of the build site you can post? We love pictures! Lol!!

Thanks Suz. I have to be honest at times I feel as though we may be in over our heads. Than I look around at friends who have managed to pull it off and I say they can't be that much smarter than us. Plus my wife is a teacher so her new job this summer is pool contractor.

Great at idea on some before pics!!

Oh, I didn't mean to scare you. It sounds like to me, you know what you're doing! You'll have plenty of help from the experts and experienced here, and your friends will definitely help. It seems that the Vegas area has a good number of O/B pools. You've probably found quite a few here. A teacher-wife is pretty good to have around, right?! You're a lucky man!

The more info you can share (now or when you know), the better. Sometimes the diagrams are a bit fuzzy when enlarged, so we might not see everything - could be my phone. How many jets will be in the spa? Do you have kiddos? If so, you might want another bench at the far end - top right of the diagram but not in the center 'swim lane'. Are those water features on either side of the top bench? What kind of cleaning are you considering - in ground, a Polaris type cleaner, or a robot? Are you going with bleach or saltwater generator to chlorinate (sanitize) the water? All this information helps people give suggestions for equipment, plumbing, etc.

This is going to be fun to watch!!

Yes we have kids and I like your idea of another bench (this picture doesn't show either bench) The spa has 6 jets and there are two water columns that will spill water from copper pots. Still trying to figure out the filtration, prefer to go salt but budget will play a roll. We will have a Polaris type vacuum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 174
Thanks, that's helpful. Next step, put all that info into your signature, so no matter when or at what point someone jumps in on your thread, they have the information . As your thread gets longer, it's harder for people to search back to find the info to make suggestions or offer different options. You can use mine or countless others to get an idea what to include. You can even list each thing with a question mark or 'TBD' by each item that hasn't been nailed down. As your build progresses, you simply edit your signature to keep it current.

Click on your username. Click on 'Private Message'. In the boxes on the left, find 'Edit Signature' under 'My Settings'. I had to play with it to get it to do what I wanted. Let us know if you have any questions! It's great to have you here!

Suz has you off and running! Sweet!

The one thing that jumps out to me is your depth 3'x5'x4'................I worry the 3' will be way to low in short order. How old are you kids? They grow fast so................do you have any pools you can jump in and see what feels the best? Hold a tape measure up to yourself and see how far it goes.

Let us see a shot of your current yard so we know what you are dealing with!

Kim:cat:

Hi Adam! I have a son in San Diego with that same name, so I'm a tad partial!

If you have trouble finding good subs in your area, you should private message TFP member QingGuy. He is in Las Vegas, did an OB, and has been very generous about giving out lists of subs, who he used, etc.

Also, I agree with Kim about the depth. I would go with 3'6" (water depth, not top of gunite) for the shallow end. You could go with 4', but if you are on the short side that might be too much. I'm 5'3 and 3'6" is perfect for me.

I've wondered the same thing about the depth. I'll talk to the excavator about changing to 3'6" water depth at its lowest point. While we aren't tall people I think it makes much more sense.

i need to increase my photo limit which I'll do later today. Thanks for the ideas and welcoming me to the page.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to the club! One thing I would point out to think about would be the spa spillway. We had that on our last pool and pigeons started using it as easy access to a watering hole. The pool we're building now has a spillway, but it will be covered so that it's not so easy for birds to get to.

Also, with kids and for your own enjoyment you might want to consider adding a bubbler to the baja deck. They're not too much more in cost and are a nice feature. The kids that come to our house always love playing with it (you can adjust the height so it is a small fountain).

Sorry for the slow response, busy weekend with trees being removed and BBQ's this weekend. thanks Mrwiggles for the advice. We seem to be lucky with pigeons but it's Vegas so we will consider.

Pic below is standing roughly in the middle of the pool looking out thhe yard, spa is behind:

pic is looking from the yard towards the spa:

Sadly a lot of the plants will not make it. The walkway though has all been picked up which was an incredibly heavy job and reused to extend our current patio. We are hoping to put a fire pit and BBQ on the new patio.

Good news, looks like Wednesday the excavator will be starting.

Do you have a specific basketball hoop you plan on using because I think they tend to be bigger/wider than what would fit the normal umbrella sleeve? The umbrella sleeves are usually good for volleyball standards too though--really just depends on the size of the pole.

You are right on the poles for the basketball hoops. We have plan B so it's really not on the concern list.

Good news pool digging should get started on Thursday and plumber is scheduled for Monday the week after. It's starting to feel real.

Well digging was supposed to start Tuesday/Wednesday. On Friday the excavators came, removed some landscaping and did a layout of the pool. We moved the spa some but for the most part it stayed the same as the original picture. The rest of the digging should take place Monday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.