Free Chlorine test reads "HIGH" on my ColorQ 7 and on my HTH test strips

Jul 22, 2011
Fairmount, IN
My pool is in full operation. I shocked last week with 8 gallons 10% liquid shock, and I added 5 3" Chlorine tabs(that was all I had- have more now) in the chlorinator. My pool is clear, no algae- never have had that problem, thank goodness! My dilemma is that my test readings say "High" for FCl and for TCl- and I don't know if I need to shock again because I don't know the numbers! My CYA reading is 97 this morning. I went to the Pool Store and she said my Cl was fine and I need to keep it high! I bought the ColorQ 7 so that I didn't have to guess, or rely on the "ranges" on the test strips! Now I don't know what to do! Help!:confused

Re: Free Chlorine test reads "HIGH" on my ColorQ 7 and on my HTH test strips

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You have discovered why we do not recommend the Color Q or especially test strips ... check out the only Recommended Test Kits which include the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

If that CYA is correct, the chances of your pool staying clear this summer are pretty low especially if you keep using tablets which are raising it even higher.

First off, FC is the good chlorine. CCs are the debris from the chlorine killing off the cooties.

We don't recommend the ColorQ tester because it is unpredictable if not recalibrated often enough. We prefer drop based tests which aren't hard to do and are more reliable. The TF-100 kit is our preferred, but the Taylor K-2006 is also good. The important test is the FAS-DPD test which can test FC up to 50 ppm. No other test does this, most max out at 5 or 10. We consider test strips to be not much better than "Guess-Strips". Pretty worthless if you want the best sanitation readings for your water.

Why did you add 8 gallons of liquid chlorine in your pool if you didn't have algae? Did you add it all at once?

Those chlorine tablets are raising your CYA level and it will soon be difficult to keep algae away since the higher the CYA=the higher FC requirements.

Please read this article in Pool School, it will help you understand more- ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Bring your questions back :) ...and welcome to TFP!!

Get one of the FAS-DPD test kits.

If you mean correct the high CYA, you have to replace water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.