Leak on suction side

May 19, 2009
I'm very new to this pool thing so please bare with me as I try to explain what we're experiencing. We have a DE filter, use chlorine, 35,000 gallon in-ground pool about 15 years old. The plumbing on the pool is 1 year old. We bought the home last year after all had been replaced.

We're just opening our pool for the season and the pump is taking in air on the suction side. We are seeing bubbles come out of the return jets in the pool and there is water in the pump basket. When we turn the pump off, we can see bubbles in the pump basket and we can hear a slight hissing sound. The water does drop below the intake port in the pump basket, but slowly and so we do lose the prime. We're not losing water from the pool and we're getting consistent pressure in the pump (~12lbs which is just a bit below what it normally runs at). We took the PV pipes off the suction side, replaced the 0-rings and since then, the problem seems to have gotten worse. HELP! I'm praying this isn't something below ground (haven't been able to find much information on diagnosing below ground air leaks??). Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

If you can hear the hiss, the air leak is probably near by. The first place to look is the pump strainer basket lid. It is fairly common for them to leak. You can also try spraying water on various things with the pump running till the bubbles in the pump strainer basket disappear.

Well, the dribbling water method worked for us. I've found the leak is in the PV pipe that connects to the intake port. I ran the hose over that area when the pump was on and the air disappeared from the pump basket. So we think the threads in the PV pipe are worn. Thanks for the wonderful advice ... this is the best pool forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.