First time doing this... am I doing it right?`

Oct 9, 2015
Niagara Falls
So, at long last I got my new equipment pad built, enough that I could set my equipment up anyway.
Due to a complete rebuild of the equipment pad including new pump, I finally 'opened' the pool. (is there a specific forum to post pics of stuff like that?) I took the cover off last week and tested just the chlorine and Ph, they were surprisingly in an acceptable range. I didn't see much point in doing the full test (with my shiny new TF-100) until the water was circulating.

Here's the results I got for my first test (keep in mid this is my first time testing with the TF-100, but it's pretty straight forward I found).

Temp 20.6 (c)
Salt 2200
FC 0.5
PH 7.3-7.4 ish
TA 100
CH 350
CYA 0
CC 0

the pool had been circulating about an hour at this point.

Now I'm quite sure of the FC because I did it three times (second time to be sure, third time because I didn't read ahead far enough to realize I had to use that water to test CC :D

Now the CYA was right at the brim when I tried it. Full disclaimer - it was almost sunset. I WILL to the 50ppm test tomorrow when it's bright with the sun at my back, then do the full test set again. The pool will have had a good 12 - 14 hours of circulation by then.

Oh. I also added a jug of 12% bleach (I think it was 12) - it was the pool stuff from walmart, because the salt is too low for my swg to kick in.

So assuming I get the same results tomorrow, obviously I need CYA and Salt, we'll see where the FC is tomorrow given my jug of bleach, but do I need to SLAM considering my CC is zero?

I'd appreciate any comments, corrections, or advice.

oh, also, since I'll go to the pool store to buy the CYA, I'm assuming I don't ACTUALLY need the 'salt water sabilizer', I just need the normal stuff (I've always suspected they were pool storing me with that 'ocean salt stabilizer and conditioner'. What do I ask for so I look like I know what I'm talking about and they don't try to SELL me something?

Thanks,
Joey

Yes, i had thought of that. I may do that tomorrow evening. Now maybe I wasn't clear, I was actually assuming that I DON'T need to SLAM. Assuming my cc is zero (or less than .5) and I pass an OCLT, then I'm in the clear right?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

If it doesn't list the percentage on the side, I don't trust it. You could use pool math to figure it out, add x ammount, measure FC in 30 minutes and adjust the % until it matched what you test.

You could use pool math to figure it out, add x ammount, measure FC in 30 minutes and adjust the % until it matched what you test.

As fun as that sounds....

When I slam I should calculate the cya as whatever I have dissolving also?

Pool math says I need 7kg, but so far I've only put in 1.8kg, (one container). Mostly because that's what would fit in the sock. The girl at the pool store kept insisting I only needed 2000g to get from 0 cya to 30ppm, despite the container giving a ratio of 300g per 10k L to get to 30ppm. She begrudgingly sold me 2 containers. So that should in theory get me to 40.

So all that to say, do I slam as if I had 40ppm cya in there? (I can find another sock to put the other big of cya in).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would do baby steps with the CYA. It is much easier to add than to take out. Get the first sock dissolved first. Test for CYA a few hours after the sock is empty and the water has been moving.

What CYA should the one sock full give you? THAT is your "current" CYA level as far as your tests go.

You are really getting this stuff down! Nice job! You do NOT have to buy the CYA from the Pool $tore......I buy mine at Walmart or Lowes. It is all the same really.

Kim:cat:

I haven't been able to find cya anywhere else. Canadian estimates seem to have smaller pool sections.)

What I have in the pool now, once dissolved should really only bring me to 18ppm. since it takes so long to dissolve I thought about putting them both in. That should bring me to 36, even if I'm of by an incredible factor of 2, I'd still be under 75ppm, a good target for my son right?

Do I need to wait until cya is dissolved before SLAMing? I was under the impression cya took a while to show on the test.

Also should I turn off the shelf to SLAM? If I don't, it will never drift back down to regular levels.

Start the SLAM now.........go out and pour in your first FC of the day then come back in finish reading this..............

Back? Okay now find another sock and put the rest of the CYA in and put it in the pool. You can squeeze the sock to help dissolve the CYA.

We have been doing some experimenting with the CYA to find out how fast it WILL show up on the test. Guess who got to squeeze two BIG socks worth into the pool? Yeap! Me LOL I squeezed in enough to get my CYA up to 40. It took me about 30 mins. of squeezing to get it all out. I let the pump run for 2 hours and tested for CYA. It was right at 40! SO now we know it will show up on the test a lot faster than we thought in the past if it is all dissolved!

"turn off the shelf"? Do you mean SWG? You can turn it off to help save the cell. You should be using chlorine/bleach to do the SLAM.

I gotta say, I'm a little confused by this cya thing. I added enough to bring me up to 36ppm (according to the package) it's now sitting at 50 . I mean that's fine because I want it around 70. But it means I have to adjust me slam level.

Current
FC 15.5
CC 0
Cya 50

There might have been SOME CYA in there but not enough to really show up on the test. It is almost impossible to see less than 30 so.........

Hmm, that makes sense. That would explain it I suppose. I pulled the sock out and will retest in a week or so.

My FC was at 22 an hour ago, so we'll see where it is at in the morning to see if I've met the criteria to end the slam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.