Very Different Salt Readings - SWG & Taylor Kit

andrewm

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Denham Springs, LA
I'm getting puzzling salt level readings from my SWG. I think it's reading way low. Earlier in the spring I added 4 bags of salt. My reading was 2200 I think. That should've put me well over 3000. The reading on my SWG went to about 2900. I didn't really care since it was generating chlorine. Fast forward to last weekend. We've had a lot of rain lately which has required me to drain some water periodically. So I wasn't too surprised to see my salt level drop. I kind of forgot about it and let it get too low. The panel said 2200 but it stopped generating chlorine and I got a small amount of algae. After a quick weekend slam I added 4 more bags of salt. Reading didn't change overnight. Ended up adding a total of 7 bags. Reading went to 2900. So I just assumed my starting point was actually less than 2200. Again, it's generating chlorine so whatever. I did a full suite of analysis today including my Taylor salt kit. It gave me a reading of 6600! I've used this test a few times before and it has always read higher by about 1000. But this is much much higher. I'll admit I haven't cleaned my cell with muriatic acid in a long time. Could that be giving me a low salt reading? If the SWG is happy right now, I'm a little reluctant to clean the cell in case it does start reading much higher and stops generating chlorine. Does too much salt matter if the SWG is working? Any advice?

I've never had any trouble with the Taylor K-1766 Salt Test, and my SWG often thinks it is "over salt" yet produces chlorine just fine.

I trust the Taylor kit. It goes from milky to light salmon to brick-like color which is my end point. Are you getting those results too?

Ouch, yeah that does look like you've got a salt mine going on there....

How do you feel about this? Do you want to lower it with a partial drain/refill? Is the SWG producing chlorine? Is it complaining?

The AquaRite will read low when the cell is wearing out. Once the salt reading is more than about 800 to 1,000 ppm too low, it’s about time to replace the cell.

Typically, you can keep the cell working by increasing the salt. Usually the cell fails completely at about 4,500 to 6,500 ppm salt.

How old is the cell?

Re: Very Different Salt Readings - SWG & Taylor Kit

The cell is producing chlorine. It's about 4 years old.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it matter if my salt is that high? Salt is much cheaper than a new cell. I guess the downside is when it does fail I will have to do a partial drain to get the new one to work.

I have noticed when I add salt that it takes a couple of days for the testing results to settle down. I use the Taylor salt test and the SWCG. The last time I added salt per pool math the SWCG level increased to over 4000 rather than the expected 3200. After a couple of days the SWCG was down to 3100. I typically add only half of what pool math asks for when adding chemicals so,I don't overshoot the desired levels.

Make sure the cell is not scaled as that can cause a low salt error. If the cell is clean you will have to replace it soon. For now, use it for as long as you can.

Ok I was wondering if that was the case. I haven't cleaned it in quite a while. Probably not since last fall. So if I clean it and it starts reading closer to normal, at what salt level will it stop generating chlorine?

The AquaRite works with voltage and amperage and when the water conditions make those go out of range, then the SWG will shut down. I know it usually starts to have problems when the salinity is above 4000, but I'm not sure when it shuts down completely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The T-15 stops producing at about 2,300 or 2,400 ppm salt on the low side. I'm not sure if there is a high salt cut off (from salt level). High salt warning and shut down usually goes by amps, not salinity. At 8 amps (for t15) the high salt warning goes off and production stops.

The amps depend on salinity and water temperature. 3,000 ppm and 95 degree water might hit 8 amps and stop production. However, 4,500 ppm and 52 degree water might be under 8 amps and continue to work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.