Ready to Convert to TFP Method...Here Are My First Results

Nov 9, 2015
Lawrence, KS
Hi team,

I have been looking at this website for several months since opening our new pool a few months ago (see signature for details). I have read everything in pool school but still am nervous about starting this! We have been using the standard chlorine 3" pucks that our pool builder gave us. We have also been super-chlorinating about once a week as our swim load has been heavy and will continue to be that way (average 20 -30 swimmers over a weekend). I am very excited about using the TFP method and just received my TF-100 test kit in the mail yesterday. I just did all of the necessary tests and wanted to share my results. I am hopeful to get some guidance on my next steps. I went ahead and bought 5 gallons of Clorox Uscented Regular Bleach (yields 7.85% available chlorine). I'm also hoping to learn how to mix the bleach into the water when it is time to treat the pool. I wasn't sure if you just pour it in the deep end or have to add it to water. I am very excited about this journey and look forward to sparkling water! Here are my results:

Total Chlorine = 1.5
FC = 1ppm
CC = .5
PH = 7.2
CYA = 50
Calcium Hardness = 250
Alkalinity = 170

Thanks so much for your help and look forward to hearing from the experts!

Those numbers are quite good. Looks like all you need is to raise the FC level. That's ridiculously easy.

I'll give you one freebie, but I expect you to read Pool School - PoolMath so you can set up poolmath and calculate your own doses in the future. Pour 1.9 jugs of your bleach into the return stream while the pump is running. That's it. You can eyeball the 1.9. If you miss by a tenth, it's no crisis.

Study up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - PoolMath

Once you start doing it, it will make more sense.

Thanks Richard and I appreciate the "freebie"! Just to clarify, my pool is set halfway between Main Drain and Skimmer for the return flow. Do I need to move it all the way to Skimmer and pour the bleach into the skimmer or just leave it on the current setting and still pour in the skimmer? Sorry for the dumb questions but want to make sure I do this correctly.

Also, I was thinking my Alkalinity was a little high based on the test kit guidelines. Do I need to do anything to adjust it?

So I did the PoolMath and set my targets based on the TFP recommendations for a Vinyl Liner pool. My PH is at 7.2 and I keyed in 7.5 as my target. It says I need to add 11 lbs. of borax. Is this something you would recommend? It seems safe since my target of 7.5 is on the lower side of the recommended levels (7.5-7.8). Also, do I need to key anything in for the Salt or Borate numbers within the spreadsheet?

I will ditto yippee; try aeration to raise the pH first. you can easily make an aerator that fits in one of the return jets temporarily. no glue necessary. I say this since your alkalinity is already on the high side. Not that it is a problem, not at all, just that using even borax raised my alkalinity too.

So I did the PoolMath and set my targets based on the TFP recommendations for a Vinyl Liner pool. My PH is at 7.2 and I keyed in 7.5 as my target. It says I need to add 11 lbs. of borax. Is this something you would recommend? It seems safe since my target of 7.5 is on the lower side of the recommended levels (7.5-7.8). Also, do I need to key anything in for the Salt or Borate numbers within the spreadsheet?
No, I don't recommend raising pH with Borax. You'll just end up chasing a number. With 170 TA, pH will rise pretty quick naturally so in a day or two you'll be adding acid to lower pH again. Leave it at 7.2 and you might be able to go four or five days before it rises on its own.

The secret is that if your Now value is within the Suggested range (And note TA has that + after it) then you just plug that value in as your target. Look! No chemicals needed.

If you haven't been adding borates and salt then you won;t have the tests for them anyway so enter zero in poolmath.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Been doing the TFP method for about three weeks now. Here are my updated results:

FC = 1
CC = 1
TC= 2
Calcium = 200
TA = 110
CYA = 40
PH = 7.5
I test in the evening and I am finding that my FC is always around 1ppm after being about 5ppm in the morning before all of the kids are swimming. I'm finding that I need to add at least a gallon of bleach each evening which takes it to about 5ppm and then it decreases to about 1ppm at the end of each day. I'm considering adding 1.5 gallons each evening which would take it to about 7ppm and then come down to around 3ppm. I'm nervous that I keep dropping to around 1ppm at the end of the day. I have done the overnight test and it is fine. I think it the heavy chlorine is based on numerous kids swimming each day.

It is very important to keep FC above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. When FC drops below minimum the pool becomes unsanitary because the kill rate for bacteria, viruses and pathogens is not sufficient to prevent person to person disease transmission, especially with kids.

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
and the water is clear

10-12 is a lot of kids! That's a lot of sweat, spit, hair products, sunscreen, and fun. :)

If it were me, I'd boost CYA to 50 to limit sun loss. I'd then target 8ppm FC each night with my chlorine adds. It doesn't hurt to check it in the morning before the fun starts and give it a little hip check back up to 8 if need be. That'll still be low enough to be kid friendly, but give you a 4ppm pad to burn through as all the little folks have fun.

My only FC crash so far was when we invited the neighbors and my mother over and had about 10 people in the pool. My pool is a lot smaller than yours, but that's a lot for the chlorine to handle. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.