Test, tweak, and SLAM

Jun 4, 2016
Belford. NJ
Hi. I finally got my TF100 early! Now I can get down to the nitty gritty of my pool and finally get rid of the horrible-looking water once and for all! >: )

I want to make this thread the whole process with me asking questions (since it's all one giant process, also because I feel like I would be spamming the forum with 300 threads otherwise) along every step of the way, from testing, to balancing the chemicals, and finally the SLAM process. First question - do I need to run the pump for a bit before I can accurately use the kit? My pool's been standing still for two days straight now and when I did the test I feel like I got horrible results.

FC = 0
CC = 0
TA = 70
CH = 150
CYA < 20
pH > 8.2
Cl = 0
Br = 0

The pH especially looks like a terrible value. I'd estimate it to be 8.4 based on the color tone difference. I got the pool water from 2ft below the surface just as the instructions advised but I still think I did stuff wrong. Also, the CYA test - even when I filled up the tube completely I still saw the black dot, through it was dim. Does it have to disappear completely? I'm gonna wait until tomorrow morning and retest after the pump had run through the night in case that was a problem, but I want to know if that's what made the test come out pretty badly or is it just incredible ineptitude with measuring and/or just terrible chemical balance.

Another thing to point out - there's a leaking pipe in the skimmers. I stuck gizmos in both of them and the water level finally stayed. Covering just one or the other still leaks so I know it's gotta be the connecting pipe. Would I have to keep the skimmers open for the SLAM? How important are they? I can keep filling up the pool daily with water for the SLAM but doing it every day for the whole summer is gonna be costly with the water expenses. Pretty sure digging up the broken pipe and sealing it back up wouldn't be any cheaper at the moment either and we're tight on money.

I'll post pics of the pool once things start rolling. Thanks in advance!

Yes you should run the pump for about 30-60 minutes before any testing to make sure it is mixed.

Dot should be completely gone, so if the mixture was not 100% clear, you might have about 10-15ppm of CYA. Also the CYA test needs to be done in bright indirect sun light.

You can SLAM if the water is circulating ... although the skimmers are pretty important to keep the pool clean. So does 1 skimmer get plumbed to the bottom of the 2nd skimmer and then from there another pipe to the pump?

So does 1 skimmer get plumbed to the bottom of the 2nd skimmer and then from there another pipe to the pump?

No idea. I moved into the house and it already had a pool so I don't know how it's built underground. I just know that if I plug just one, it leaks, if I plug just the other one, it still leaks at the same rate, and the leak stops when both are plugged at the same time. That's why I think it has to be a pipe after the skimmers connect.

There's one open hole yes. There is another one in each but it's locked in. There's a square indent but there's no way I could unscrew it, if it's even possible to do so or if there's any purpose. The water cannot leak from there - the water level stayed identical for a few days straight.

Right, I am trying to understand your plumbing. Sometimes the floor (or 2nd skimmer) is plumbed into the 2nd hole in the skimmer, with the other hole then going to the pump. Sounds like that is not the case here, so maybe the skimmers are tied together underground before going to the pump.

How would you switch from suction from the floor to the skimmers (if they were working)?

What do you mean? If I vacuum then I could just stick the hose in the one whole in the skimmer and it'd work, though I've only done it once because the water loss is incredible. Or I could just close the skimmer valve at the pump... I'm probably getting the question wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Put the CYA in a sock and get it dissolving in front of a return jet or in the skimmer.
Slowly pour in the muriatic acid over a different return jet (preferably in the deep end).
Wait a few minutes and pour in your bleach in the same manner.

Assume your CYA is at your target and SLAM away after the pH is lowered.

Is it fine if I add both at the same time or I gotta wait some time between adding CYA and muriatic acid? Do I have to wait a few days for the CYA to dissolve before SLAMing?

In addition to what Jason said, you can use your hand to "crush" the sock containing the CYA while it's in front of the jet or in the skimmer - this will create a very rapid dissolve rate. I was able to fully dissolve nearly 3lbs of CYA over a four day period doing this. Let it soak for a brief period, then use your hand to massage the sock firmly - you'll see a cloud of fine, white particles come out. Once those particles stop coming out, let the sock soak for a while longer, then repeat. :)

FC = 13
CC = 0

I made a test in between and it gave me CC = 0.5 an hour ago but now it doesn't show up again. I put in another bag of cal hypo, I shouldn't be overshooting my calcium hardness with my low level. Will buy bleach tomorrow. I'll check again in one hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.