Draining spa into pool

Re: Spa keeps draining into pool

azsunshine2016,

If the blue arrows in your pictures are meant to indicate water flow, you should know that they appear to be incorrect in the bottom two pictures. I'm assuming that the top pictures show the suction side valves (going from the pool/spa into the pump) and the bottom pictures show the pressure side valves (going from the pump to the pool/spa).

In the case of the lower left picture (pool operation), the water flows to the right out of the upper three-way valve (not to the left) and then is split evenly between the wall and floor jets by the lower three-way valve.

In the case of the lower right picture (spa operation), the water flows to the left out of the upper three-way valve (not to the right) so there is no need to change the position of the lower three-way valve because no water flows to those pipes.

Jim.... Maybe explaining how we operate the pool may help.

When in running mode, we have most of the water returning through the spa so it spills over the spillway into the pool. So the pool return is pretty much off.

The left photos top and bottom are pool operation.
The right photos top and bottom are spa operation.

The valve that says "do not touch" simply adjusts the suction between the pool cleaner or skimmer basket.

Hope that clears things up.

The pool has worked great for 20 years. We just have this issue recently of it draining into the pool only when all the equipment is off.

2014 7-19 yard 172.jpg

I think I understand what she's saying. The blue arrows don't demonstrate water flow, I think she's using them as a "pointer" to indicate which way the valve points.

Is the black cylinder inline with the white pipe in the lower right corner of the bottom two images a check valve, and if so, is it possible that that valve has failed, hence the spa draining into the pool through the returns?

I have a similar problem, except I don't have any check valves in my system - I've been contemplating adding one or more.

You could experiment by running the pump in "pool mode" for a bit until the spa starts to overflow, then put the valve marked "Spa Operation" into the opposite setting as it is pictured, shutting the pump off immediately after closing it. If the spa doesn't drain, I'd think that was your problem.

Edit - to be clear, I'm suggesting that you put all valves into "pool operation", run the pump, let the spa overflow, then just turn the valve labeled "spa operation" to the opposite side as it is pictured in the spa operation image - which should cut off all water flow to the spa return, putting all water through the pool returns. Then shut off the pump. If that is a check valve, and it's bad, having that valve shutting off the spa return line should verify if the problem is with the spa return line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.