Cloudy water-scale inside of pool walls

unkyjoe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
Seguin TX
Greetings,

I have been slamming my pool a couple of weeks now, pump running 24x7, but I dont understand why the water does not want to clear up.

Here are my readings.

FC was 6.5 at 4pm yesterday, and tested at 5 at 10am this morning with no added bleach.
PH=7.8
TA=130
CH=80
CYA=40

I have stopped the pump for now hoping the "sediment" in the water "looks like white snow flakes" will settle out to the bottom where I can vacuum it up.

My filter sand is old "from another filter" but was cleaned before it was put into service last year, I have not deep cleaned it this year.

I go 2-3 days between backwash, and the initial flow is pale milky color.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hey neighbor. It looks like your FC is too low for your SLAM to work. For a CYA of 40, your FC should be at 16 (see Chlorine/CYA Chart link below). BEFORE you do that though, lower your pH to 7.2! That's very important. Lower your pH now, then hit HEB or Wal-Mart for some Bravo or Great Value bleach and keep the FC at 16.

Ok, so I bumped the FC to 16 per the slam instructions last night after the sun went down.

This morning, I could almost see the bottom of the pool, tested and the FC had dropped to 12.5, added another 27oz of bleach to bring it back to 16.
CC=0, now I can see some stuff on the bottom of the pool and the sides, so I am going out to brush the pool again, take another FC sample and dose back to 16 if needed.

Sound right?

P.S. Added a skimmer sock to help with some of the fine particles the sand filter would otherwise miss.

Ok, so I bumped the FC to 16 per the slam instructions last night after the sun went down.

This morning, I could almost see the bottom of the pool, tested and the FC had dropped to 12.5, added another 27oz of bleach to bring it back to 16.
CC=0, now I can see some stuff on the bottom of the pool and the sides, so I am going out to brush the pool again, take another FC sample and dose back to 16 if needed.

Sound right?

P.S. Added a skimmer sock to help with some of the fine particles the sand filter would otherwise miss.
You got it!

If any of your friends or neighbors have a DE filter, see if you can beg a couple cups of DE or cellulose to add. That will really strain out the fine stuff. Just make sure you're home to watch the gauge because it will load up fast.

attachment.php

Update:

FC dropped to 12.5, dosed with 27oz bleach to bring back to 16, scrubbed the walls and floors again. Ladder is out of pool. I can nearly see the bottom. Will check FC again in 2 hrs and see if I need to dose again.

I think I am slowly winning this war, keeping the FC at 16 is the key I was missing. I can see the difference.

P.S. My PH jumped from 7.2 to 7.6 because my return fitting became exposed and was putting a lot of air into the water. I corrected the water level and the PH is now down to 7.4 and dropping. I have never had to add acid to my pool to lower it in the past.

Update:

FC-16 after adding 37oz bleach atsundown last night.
FC 14.5 at sunrise this morning.

Can see the bottom of the pool again, however not as clear as I like so I will continue to SLAM until OCLT is 1 or less and water is crystal clear.

Sound Right?

Update:

FC-16 after adding 37oz bleach atsundown last night.
FC 14.5 at sunrise this morning.

Can see the bottom of the pool again, however not as clear as I like so I will continue to SLAM until OCLT is 1 or less and water is crystal clear.

Sound Right?
Yep.

And here's the kicker: what you'll consider 'clear' now will become 'murky' in a few weeks' time. Regular brushing and balanced water just gets a certain clarity and sparkle you have to experience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.