What is an acid demand test?

tj_royersford

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 24, 2009
Philadelphia PA area
My old test kit (Pentair Rainbow Lifeguard) had an acid demand test to do if the pH was above 7.8. Since I'm constantly battling pH, I was wondering what this test is and whether it would be useful to do or not. Based on the results, it would tell me how much MA to add.

Welcome to TFP!!

I misspent many a Friday afternoon in Philly during high school, visiting bars that weren't very strict in IDing the patrons :wink:

You've got the right idea on the acid demand test- you add drops of the reagent to the pH test you've already done until the color changes to match your desired pH, then refer to the chart to see how much acid you need to add for each 10,000 gallons of pool water. Waterbear can probably tell you how accurate the test and dosing chart are, I can't :oops: . I use mine because I have to dose hundreds of different pools - I honestly doubt that you would need it! You have the ~ same volume of water in your pool and the same demand on a regular basis. You probably know that you'll need to add "i.e. 1/4 cup muriatic acid (31.45%) every week" - if you know your pool and what it usually requires and how much a given amount of acid adds lowers the pH, why bother getting the acid demand test?

Of course it's your choice whether to get the demand test, but I think you already know what the results would be and the proper dose of acid 8)

tj_royersford said:
...acid demand test to do if the pH was above 7.8. Since I'm constantly battling pH...Based on the results, it would tell me how much MA to add.
What's your TA running now?
Lowering the TA to 70-80 if it's high will decrease the acid swings (the PH of 7.8, add MA to drop to 7.4, it rises to 7.8, add MA again).

I like it because I am not very good at comparing reds. So if one drop of the Acid Demand Reagent drops it below my target 7.5, I wait to add acid. If it is still at or above 7.5, then I go for the MA. The color differences are just easier for me below 7.6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.