3 Way Valve Positions

dcloer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Hickory/NC
Hello all,

I'm new here and I must say that this site if fantastic! I've already ditched the granule shock in favor of the liquid bleach! My question is now about the positioning of the valve as shown in the pic below. The left is the feed from the bottom of pool and the right is from the skimmer. I do not understand where the handle needs to be placed to a) 50/50 split from both b) just "drain" c)just skimmer. Is there any reason to change these around? I'm assuming it should be all skimmer when vacuuming. The writing on the valve itself is not legible so any advice you can give would be wonderful.

Attachments

• pool pump and filter.jpg
    pool pump and filter.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 65
You want to have some to the main drain when vacuuming or you will get too much suction, especially if you plug it. I would start with about 45 degree and see how much suction you get at the vacuum head and how well it picks up debris. If not enough, close it a little more. If too much open it a bit.

Sorry. I'm using pictures that were already on my phone as I'm not at the pool to get better ones. Here's another from the opposite side. There is just a pipe from the back of the valve straight to the pump.

Attachments

• pool pump and filter (2).jpg
    pool pump and filter (2).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 57
Okay. I'm not real familiar with the valve, but it appears to be a Hayward sp735 4-way valve or something like it. SP735 Complete 1in. Ball Valve 4-way would mean you can modulate flow between port 1 and port 2 or turn off flow from both.

It looks like port 1 is the top (skimmer) and port 2 is the bottom (main drain). So if you turn it to port 1 you should get all skimmer and turn it to port 2 and all main drain and off would be nothing. You should be able to adjust the % by moving between port 1 and port 2.

If that doesn't match up, see if there is a model number on the valve.

Here is a picture of the 735 and it looks like you can follow color thickness. It may not be the same valve, but may give a clue. Straight up is 50/50 (half red/half blue). The 11-12 o-clock position is off (fattest section of black), and about 7-8 o-clock (fattest section of blue) is full port 2 or the main drain. I can't tell where the red (port 1 is the thickest) but would guess 3-4 o-clock. You may also get a 50/50 at the 6 o-clock.

valve.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.