Side Wall Skimmer With Dual Inlet Liner

Im wanting to purchase a Hayward Skimmer for my 18' X 52" Ultraframe that has the newer dual inlet configuration. I wanted to see if anyone had already done this and what the setup might look like. I've found other posts that have detailed this install but that was done on the older single inlet configuration where the skimmer was installed and a plunger valve was left on the inlet and closed off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

I haven't seen these, but if you have two inlets, that's ideal. You want an inlet in addition to the skimmer. That way if the water gets too low for the skimmer or the skimmer becomes clogged, enough water can go through the other inlet to keep your pump from sucking air.

Mine has a single inlet. When I added the skimmer I left it plumbed and cut a new hole for the skimmer so I have 2 inlets.

Hey Frank, I did this with a 16x48 a week or so ago. I installed the Hayward skimmer to the right of the dual intakes....right if you are looking at them from outside the pool. I cut the intake closest to the skimmer and replaced it with the larger intex intake. I also cut the second intake...the one closer to the return and replaced it with the hayward return that comes with the skimmer. I have everything hard plumbed with the exception of the small intex hose going from the pump to filter and from filter to SWG, but will be replacing those shortly. I'll try to get some pics up later today....if weather allows, if not I'll get them up for you as soon as I can.

Reactions: Rsnowden11
I finished plumbing my pool Saturday. I went to the local pool store and bought 2 of these:

Amazon.com: Hayward SP1023 1-1/2-Inch FIP Inlet Return Fitting with Locknut and Gasket: Patio, Lawn Garden

And 2 of these:

Amazon.com : Hayward SP1022CGR 1-1/2-Inch MIP Gray Concrete Pool Drain Plug with O-Ring : Pipe Fittings : Patio, Lawn Garden

I cut out the smaller ports on my Coleman 18 x 48" and replaced them with the above plugs.

27571221226_7f55dda8d0_k.jpg

I installed the skimmer directly above the left suction port in the picture, plumbed it to my pump. For the return port I used the port (identical to above) that came with it except it had the eyeball (no pictures, sorry).

To plumb to the Intex 2800 Sand filter / pump I cut the lip end off one side of the hoses and glued them into some standard 1 1/2 PVC slip fittings. Way easier than all the pieces other posts tell you to buy or sanding or anything like that.

If you wanted a 2nd suction in addition to the skimmer it would be easy to add as the ports are threaded on the back with standard 1 1/2 PVC, but so far I've found that the single suction from the skimmer is sufficient.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks for the responses! I have a much better idea of what to do. I'll be sure and post some pictures and maybe a video when I complete. Thanks again, you guys are awesome!!

About a week in on my setup and no regrets, the single suction from the skimmer is more than sufficient in my opinion for my 18' x 48". Hayward skimmer also came with a vacuum plate to give you a port for your vacuum inside the skimmer. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NICE! I just ordered the pump, filter, and skimmer and will be following your plans as my pool is exactly like yours but 20'.. Nice work!!

- - - Updated - - -

Can you take a close up of the skimmer showing the placement? Above or below the seam?

NICE! I just ordered the pump, filter, and skimmer and will be following your plans as my pool is exactly like yours but 20'.. Nice work!!

- - - Updated - - -

Can you take a close up of the skimmer showing the placement? Above or below the seam?

I can when I get home but the screws go just below the seam which leaves a little bit of the skimmer face plate above the seam, but not much. I have seen a few people have success placing it higher but I wasn't concerned about a couple of inches of water and was worried putting it higher might hurt the integrity of the upper loop the top bar goes through.

Here's a couple of completed pictures:

27793693426_96873e8337_k.jpg

27726691242_88c33339da_k.jpg

Cubsno1, would it be a horrible pain in the butt to ask what all connections you've used to hard plumb to the intex hoses?

I'm have the same skimmer, not installed yet, and looking into purchasing that exact same SWG/sand pump, and have the same hoses with the Intex plungers on my pool already. The pool is primarily my responsibility, and the hubby is not really good at designing/fitting, etc. but if I have all the right parts he can seal/cement them together for me...your setup is what I was picturing in my mind for us when I install my Hayward skimmer! I plan on replacing the original Intex pool inlet with a Hayward one, and changing the original outlet to another inlet with eyeball, as long as I can install the ball valves like you have....so I'll have 2 returns and then the skimmer/outlet. Any details would be appreciated (and probably save me multiple trips to the hardware store!!)

Edited to add: I have pretty much NO experience with PVC or connections, but I do know you paint the primer and cement stuff to seal the connection together. That's about it lol

I want to bump this old thread. I just purchased this same pool to replace a rusted Intex 18' which is no longer produced. What did you use for the return connection into the pool? Is it the same plug reference above? If so, what connects to the plug to the 90 elbow?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.