Pump Low Flow - Easy Fix - Is it plugged?

Jul 28, 2008
Reno, NV
So I pulled the winter cover off my pool last weekend. This is only my second season with a pool, so somethings are still a little new to me.

I pulled the pump out of storage and hooked it up, topped off the pool, and put the automatic floor cleaner in. It's one of those 'clicker' types that scoots itself randomly around the bottom of the pool.

So that was that I thought and well be swimmin in three days! Well I figured I would need to clear the filter pretty often since there was some dirt and a few leaves at the bottom of the pool.

But darn it the clicker wasn't clicking very fast and the inflow and outflow seemed to be really low, almost non existent.

So I'm thinking I must have done something wrong, the pump is broke, whatever.

I disconnected the pump and pulled it into the garage and guess what? The plastic impeller was choked with leaves! It didn't take very many to do it and that thing was PLUGGED!. In fact, the oring had also managed to have gotten itself sucked down into the impeller as well.

So, I just cleaned it out, pulled out a new O-Ring (That 'storehouse' set of o-rings I got from Harbor Freight has saved my bacon more times than I ever thought), lubed up the o-ring with a little plumbers silicone grease, put it back together and Bingo, Pressure and Flow restored back to normal....

Just thought I'd share!

King,

Is the pump strainer basket in place? The leaves shouldn't have been able to get to the impellor.

Nevertheless, you were perceptive to find the cause so quickly. Nice work! :lol:

It's just a smallish above ground pool. I'd be willing to bet the pump/filter is probably more suitable for a spa than a pool...

If there was a way to buy just a strainer basket to attach to the pump, I'd be up for that.

The best part of the whole deal is though that just this last week we've started to get temps up in the 'swimming range' and with the solar blanket, the pool temp is already at 82 degrees.

I've got a lot of heavy yard work planned for this memorial day weekend, and it will be so nice to have the pool up and ready to roll...

To be fair, it was a combination of researching this site and hearing about replacing O-Rings that got me convinced to take it apart to see if I had an o-ring problem. Well, I did, and then some!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.