Fiberglass Pool - tea Stains and Chalking

Jun 9, 2016
Henderson
Hello-
I live in Las Vegas, NV, I have 16k gallon fiberglass pool, filled with new water last year and it was perfectly fine, i used Chlorine tabs and SHOCK from COSTCO - [sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione hydrated] - 1 bag a week, after every moderate to high usage, took the water sample for testing few times until Oct-2015 and they said all the numbers were perfect - i was advised to keep continue to do what i was doing, from Oct2015 - May2016, i have not gone to test the water as it was winter and didnt use the pool but now and then i kept putting a bag of shock, after several rains recently in May2016 started to see tea stains suddenly all over the walls and when i run it was chalking quite a bit....I added couple more bags of shock and when i took sample to Leslies they said the water is acidic 7.0 and i got to add Soda-Ash and i did but i was not comfortable so i emptied the pool and filled with all new water immediately but the chalking still happens and makes the water so cloudy, when i go under the water to run off the tea stains they dont go but when i rub the powdery thing wipes off of the walls.

Can someone help suggesting what i could do?
Also when i went to Leslies they say SHOCK adds HIGH PH and i just finished a call from pool servicing company to hire them to service the pool weekly and the guy says shock and chlorine tablets lower the PH, I am completely confused. Other day i asked if liquid chlorine is better or Shock, Leslies said SHOCK and the pool guy says no shock and tablets at all just liquid chlorine and muriatic acid should be used, I am worried if i hire him for weekly services he is going to add muriatic acid to the fiberglass and it could damage further.

The Filter catridges are not that bad but i am planning on getting them replaces as well, not sure if the cloudyness will reduce if i change to new catridges.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry

Hello Harry and welcome to TFP! :wave: Having grown-up there myself, I know the water is quite hard. That's probably some of your problems. Without a doubt though, your biggest issue right now is relying on the pool store for testing, advice or products. If I could convince you to do one thing right now it would be order the "proper" test kit (TF-100 link below). There is nothing better you could do than to test your own water properly and stick with the very simple principles here at TFP. So for now Harry, I would recommend the following:
1 - Order the TF-100 from the link below. I would suggest asking for the "XL Option" and "Speed Stir". The stirring is important especially for the CH (hardness) test.
2 - Stay far away from the pool store unless it's for a toy.
3 - Add nothing else to your water right now except a 1/2 gallon of regular bleach each evening. Nothing else - especially pool store products.
4 - Add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

And finally, become familiar with the vital links you see below in my signature. They will serve you well in the coming days. Welcome to TFP Harry!

Thanks "Texas Splash", appreciate your time.
I will go through all the vital links and get familiar with them. Also i will but the test kit as you recommended.
Couple of questions though.
1. Is BakingSoda same as Clorox Bleach? I bought lot of Baking Soda when they told me that i need to bring my PH levels up.
2. In the evening if you want me to add Bleach, you want me to add bleach & leave it or should my pump be left to run throughout the night? as i run the pump during the day time from 10am-5pm everyday.
3. What exactly happens when i add half a gallon bleach everyday? will it reduce the PH or increase? I am assuming this will take care of the cloudy water after repeating this process continuously for few days.

Again thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Harry

To answer your questions:
1 - No. Making soda is used to increase TA. You will see the use of each chemical when you checkout the Recommended Chemicals link below in my sig.
2 - When you add bleach, pour slowly near a return jet(s) and make sure the pump runs for about 30 minutes to mix really good and get it circulated. Then you can turn-off the pump if you like.
3 - Bleach only increases FC (free chlorine). Once you receive the proper test kit and post those numbers, you may require a TFP "SLAM" (link below). If so, then we will encourage you to adjust your FC level higher based on your CYA to perform that SLAM. But it all boils-down to the accurate testing. The small amount of bleach being added now is only to help keep things from getting any worse.

Hello 'Texas Splash'-
Please find my water test results, which i got it done few hours back.
--As suggested i poured half gallon bleach.
--The water is still cloudy, The water is filled just 10 days back
--I ordered filters online, i should be able to install it as soon as they arrive.
--Why do you think i still have cloudyness?
--Since we used the pool last night i dropped a bag of shock [sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione hydrated]

IMG_1648.jpg

thanks,
Harry.

Harry, you probably know that here at TFP we don't place a lot of faith in pool store testing. We are huge advocates of testing water on your own either with a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. That's because in almost all cases, the poos tore test results just aren't correct. But I can tell you that "if", those results were dependable, your FC is low compared to your CYA. I'm fairly certain your CYA is so high because of the pool store products that they continue to recommended to you. In fact, your CYA may actually be much higher which is another reason we recommend testing your own water. SO I believe the imbalance of FC and CYA could be the reason for your cloudiness.

You pH is also high, and there's no need to act on TDS of Phosphates. They are of no value in the TFP methods. So really at this point, your first priority would be to obtain a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. I recommend the TF-100 with Speed Stir (XL Option). It's a great value and will definitely serve your needs. With test results from either of those, you will be armed to manage your pool the TFP way. But you can't do TFP methods with pool store testing, advice or products. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.