The pool and I are no longer friends

marlyu

May 24, 2016
Woodbridge, VA
Hi all,

We have been trying to open this pool for two weeks now. It is a Kayak 12x24, 8500 gallon pool with vinyl liner. This year we have a brand new Intex Sand Filter 2800 GPH. Over the winter our cover collapsed and pool sat uncovered for part of winter and through 5/25/16 when we began working on it. Our process since then in trying to resurrect it has been as follows:

1) Raise pH
2) Add Yellow Out
3) Superchlorinate with shock
4) Simultaneously vacuum, scrub, backwash, etc.

We have gone through this process twice. In the interim, nearly daily scrubbings and vacuuming. There is no more debris coming from the pool and the filter is smoothly running at great pressure. Now the fun part is that it's still green as evident in the pics I just had my husband take and send to me a minute ago. I did the Pool Calculator and we got more bleach and are keeping the chlorine levels high.

The readings from water test just now he sent were as follows:

Total Hardness: 100
Total Chlorine: 10
Free Chlorine: 10
pH: 7.2
Total Alkalinity: 120
CYA: 30

Help, we are really not sure what else to do. I've looked into getting D.E. for the filter as maybe we've filled it with too much debris from all the initial vacuuming/cleaning.

Marianna

Hi Marylu,

Welcome to TFP... we are neighbors! Ok, so you are opening your pool a little too late, so all of the algae has had alot of time to grow. It is best to close when the pool water is below 60 and open before the water reaches 60 degrees. We had a weird warm winter and a frigid spring, so that didn't help.

Since this didn't happen overnight, it will not clear overnight. You will need patience. We will help you get your pool clean and for less cost than all of the potions the pool store has sold you so far.

First, how did you get your test results, strips, pool store, test kit (if so which one)? Get one of the recommended test kits if you don't already have one. Since you pool is a lovely shade of green, I strongly suggest the TF-100 with the XL option... otherwise you will run out of testing reagents.

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Read up on pool school: Pool School - Pool School

You need to SLAM your pool, which is means testing and adjusting FC several times a day, brush everyday, backwash only when your pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure because sand filters do best when a little dirty: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Use this chart to determine your FC SLAM level: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Use pool math to determine how much bleach to add to get your FC to SLAM level: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Ask questions if you don't understand or need help. Keep us updated on your progress. A pic a day of the steps will help show your progress (sand filters take longer to clear).

Thanks KC. We had to run out to get strips as all the recommended test kits on here, I've already been doing a lot of reading, are on back order on Amazon (sorry, trying to save as much $ as possible). The calculator told me to SLAM at 10 since we were starting with a really low CYA. We have since added conditioner. Should we add another jug of bleach now to raise SLAM/Chlorine level to 12 or 16 (it's 8.25%, 121oz jug)? I've attached a pic of strip test in case my readings were inaccurate. Do we think there is still algae even with no debris coming up any more in vacuuming and scrubbing?

Your water is green which means you have algae. The only way to get rid of algae is to kill it with chlorine. So, you do need to SLAM.

Sadly, the test strips are generally worthless. High levels of FC can bleach out your results and even at low FC levels, they are inaccurate.

Until you get one the kits, we suggest that you add 1/2 jug a bleach a day, but don't add anymore until near bedtime since 10 is the highest your test strips can record. How much conditioner and what type (liquid/solid) did you add to the pool? The condition+all of the solid forms of chlorine (powdered/pucks) all increase your CYA. Without an accurate test of CYA, we can't recommend a FC level and the strips won't allow for accurate FC testing.

The website for the TF-100 doesn't indicate they are on back order: TFTestkits.net

While you wait, please add your pool details to your signature as it helps us quickly see your info so accurate advice can be given: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

The algae is the almost fluorescent, very much thriving bright green in the water. You need to SLAM the pool, which is keeping the chlorine high enough for long enough to kill the algae. Seems silly but the TF-100 XL option, while expensive now is going to save you most money in the long run. It is impossible to complete a SLAM without a proper kit.

Once the algae starts to die, it will turn grayish then blue cloudy before ultimately going completely clear. Please add your pool details to your signature and seriously consider the TF-100. You won't regret it in a month.

Contact TF Test Kits...their customer service is top notch and if you contact them today before they send out shipments, you just may have the kit by Saturday. And get the XL option since I'm sure you're going to need the extra reagents.

Thanks Pool Tool. A follow up question. I read different things about running the filter on main drain only, which for us, I believe would be the bottom of the pool drain, rather than the skimmer. Does it matter at all which drain? Skimmer only, bottom drain only, or both?

You are very welcome and we are glad you found the site. Probably doesn't matter since many pools, even very deep pools, aren't even built with main drains anymore. By skimming, you will reduce any new debris settling to the bottom and hasten your SLAM time. I generally use both skimmer and main drain pretty much 95% of the time.

if you have a main drain I like to use both when doing a slam, once the algae starts to die, when you brush the walls,
dead white algae will make the water hard to see through, I have found in my experience it clears faster if the main
drain as well as skimmer are both circulating.

Sounds good thanks. We'll keep it on both. Is slamming itself sufficient to kill algae? Is the notion that you have to use a product to "open up the algae" first a myth? Also, how often are we to check the water in the interim and add bleach since we only have the strips? I won't know if it's at 12 or 16 shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, SLAMing is all you need. The only product necessary is bleach/aka liquid chlorine. What you said is a myth. The potions sold in pool stores are all solid forms of chlorine that are a) expensive, b) add either calcium or CYA which builds up and will lead you to have to dump your water and refill, and c) sometimes adds copper which can stain hair and your liner.

You won't need any shocks, flocs, algaecide (which only prevents algae and does nothing to kill it), or clarifiers.

You won't be able to properly SLAM until you get one of the kits which means you won't be able to get to full SLAM level for your CYA.

Wal-mart has been having a sale of 10% bleach in the seasonal/pool section. Cost is $2.50 a jug. Pay attention to the date stamp as you want the freshest batch as chlorine looses its strength over time. The date stamps are julian dates, like 16010 which corresponds to the 10th day of 2016.

Your pool is small, so I wouldn't add 2 jugs of the 8.25% (regular bleach) and you really don't want to add 2 jugs of the 10% stuff. Adding too much FC will bleach out your liner and is simply a waste of FC. Putting in the amount you want to add boils down to a waste of $ as it won't speed up the time to clear your pool and significantly increases the risk of ruining your liner or equipment.

1/2 a jug of either 8.25% or 10% is the most you should put in your pool a day until your kit arrives.

By the time you get your water clear, you will be amazed at how cheaply and easy it will be to maintain a clear pool. Soon you will become friends with your pool again... in fact, you will probably become best friends :)

I'm skeptical, I won't lie, this has been a headache and a half for the last 2 weeks. What's the opinion on getting D.E. or D.E. alternative to add to the sand filter to help with filtering tiny particles? Along similar lines, should I get a skimmer sock? The trap on this new filter lets just about everything smaller than a pea through.

Amazon has these hair nets that get really fine particles. He algae will slow the water quickly so Don't use them when not home as it can quickly stop the water from flowing to the pump and ruin your pump. I found this out the hard way. I don't have a link because I'm on a conference call.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.