Pool over sewer line

Jun 9, 2016
columbus ohio
Any concerns with setting up 14 x 42 pool over sewer line? I live in older home with older pipes had root issues in past but not for a very long time. So sewer pipe is possibly 50-60 years old. I have limited space in my yard with sewer line running in center of lawn. I can move it over a bit towards fence but would prefer to not have it too close to fence didn't know if anyone has any advice about pool sitting over underground sewer line.

if you had roots in your lateral and haven't had to worry about it again for quite a while, you are probably due soon for an incident. It might be worth paying someone to inspect your lateral with a snake/camera first, but that may be more than you want to spend. Either way, I'd want to be sure I wasn't going to have to dig that sewer line up anytime soon. I don't think the pressure from the pool is going to matter as much as the fact that you are making it harder to get to if service is needed.

If you had roots in your lateral and had it cabled to get it cleared out, the roots are still growing in there, they were just trimmed back. Cabling is now a routine maintenance item on your house until you replace the lateral. Or you can wait till it clogs, of course.

Well its been probably 5-6 years and we keep up with treating the line with root x. It has been inspected in that time frame and no problems found. My main concern was the pressure from the pool over the line and didn't see anyone else mention this before. Cabling before was done through a basement clean out only access to the pipe so access in the event of an issue is no problem.

The weight of the pool spread over the surface area of the perimeter equates to around 200 lbs PSF where the sewer pipe runs. Couple that with weight displacement within the surrounding soil and you'd be very unlikely to have an issue.

I figured the weight off of 4' depth so if the pool is less than that, you are in even better shape.

Is it a clay pipe?

Bradalucas & others in the same situation - What happened to your pool? Were you able to build it above the underground sewer line? I ran into the same problem, they started the pool in my backyard and then they discovered the home sewer line which runs in center of lawn under the pool and then connects to the main sewer line (located on the easement--10 feet from pool). We cannot relocate pool due to limited space in my yard. I'm suggesting them to move home sewer pipe some feet (6' FT) away from the pool to prevent future damages. Any suggestions?
Al

Can you give more details?
Did they find the actual line while digging or just realized that it was somewhere below and never exposed it?
How deep is it?
Is it clay or plastic?

I would not have them re-route it. If it is not already scdl 40 pipe then just have them replace the existing pipe with scdl 40. Be sure it is properly installed and bedded in 3/4 stone and you will never have a issue with it.

Last edited:
They found the sewer line that comes out of the house while digging between house & pool to install power lines for the pool. The sewer line exiting the house was about 2 FT deep... House built in 1955. It is a very old pipe, the material is black plastic pipe ABS. The contractor repaired the broken pipe with a piece (about 5 FT) of schedule 40 pipe, but didn't replaced the complete existing pipe. His reasoning was the pipe is crossing the yard under the shallow part of the pool (sunbathe area--about 1-2 FT depth) so no problem, and they kept digging and then forming the pool. Pool is now formed and ready for concrete. The problem is a couple of days later within the joints of the new piece of pipe scdl 40 there was a blockage and we had to call a plumber to clear/fix it. Two plumbers have suggested to re-route the sewer line some feet away from the pool to avoid future problems. Contractor is reluctant to do so and doesn't want to cover expenses involved...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.