Backwash area/pit

Jun 24, 2007
scottsdale,az
Does anyone have pictures or links to backwash pit ideas.

We live in Az and they won't let us pipe it to the street. We have a very narrow side yard. I want it to wash to an area that we can see..so we know if the water is clear or not.

I'm assuming it will have to be very deep since we can't make it very wide. Perhaps we can put a grate across so that we can still walk across it.

NO clue here. We've been backwashing less and less because it's such a backwashing nightmare.

Welcome to TFP!

This is much easier to do if it is not visible. One common approach is to dig a pit, line it with landscapers cloth (lets water through but not dirt), fill with gravel, run a pipe into there, top with more landscapers cloth, and then cover with topsoil.

I suppose you could leave the top open and cover with a grate, but you need to be careful to not let too much dirt get in over time.

You can get clear sections of pipe which can be put in the backwash line near the main valve to allow you to see how the water looks. That is generally much simpler than watching the outlet, which will no doubt be some distance away.

TEMPORARY THREAD HIJACK: Buggs, I think you're doing some sort of illegal recruiting of Arizona members. Us Texans are gonna have to put a stop to that! HIJACK OVER

Welcome Scottsdale,
Sorry I can't be of much help other than to encourage you to stay with us! There are a lot of helpful people around here.

Ok, we don't have hardly ANY pools up here, but we do have over 10,000 lakes. I'm gonna try and recruit too. lol.

The site glass glass works great for this. Must be a way to install at your outlet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.