Odd electrical setup on new house pool

trmiv

Jun 6, 2016
Wake Forest, NC
Hey all. A few weeks ago we moved into our house with a pool installed by the previous owners. We actually had an inspection company inspect the pool, but apparently they didn't do that great of a job, because they didn't notice what I think is a rather odd setup with the electrical. After some fiddling around, I finally figured out that the pool pump is hooked up to the same 15-amp breaker as all of the outlets in our master bedroom. I'm not sure how we haven't tripped the breaker when the pump is running yet. Who thought this was a good design, I have no idea. Under the house there is a blank-face GFCI that then runs to the pump. I tested the GFCI and it did nothing. Pump just keeps running when I test it. Our pool has no lights, so the only thing electrical hooked up to it is the pump.

So obviously this is pretty screwed up and I should get this fixed. Just curious if anyone has any ideas how I should do it? I was thinking of having an electrician run a dedicated 20-amp circuit out there with a GFCI breaker in the main electrical box, and just eliminate the blank-face GFCI under the house. I could also have them run 230 out there and switch to that. he pump I have is selectable between 115 and 230, but currently on 115. Would it be any advantage to switch it and run it on 230? I was also going to have them put in a timer on the pump when they do this because currently all that's there is an on/off switch. Was considering this timer? Aube by Honeywell TI040/U 7-Day Programmable Timer - Wall Timer Switches - Amazon.com

Crazy as it sounds that may or may not violate the NEC. Though the GFCI situation is not good. Most master bedrooms pull only a couple of amps and the pump, if operating efficiently only 7 or eight. Not the best but not dangerous.

But you need a working GFCI and a working maintenance disconnect (not a switch) within sight of the pump. If the pump is corded that serves as the maintenance disconnect.

I would have the electrician run 30 or 40 amps 240 VAC to a new subpanel. That will give you power for your pump some convenience outlets and a disconnect for the pump. That will also give you some extra capacity for the margarita machine.

In short all residential pool pumps actually operate on 110. Its generally slightly more efficient to deliver the 200 than the 110 especially if its a long run.

Huh I figured having them on the same breaker would be a big issue

I don't really need additional outlets near the pump. The filter is on the other side of the fence that surrounds the pool and we actually have a few exterior outlets on a totally different circuit that are much closer to the pool than the filter is. In that case 110 is probably fine?

Didn't realize a maintenance disconnect was needed, we don't have that

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.