Removing Solar Cover

May 12, 2015
La Grange, KY
Does anyone have any tips on removing a solar cover? I have a 30ft, 8mil cover and the pool sits right next to several large pine trees. After leaving it on for a day or two, it's pretty covered in pine needles and tiny pine cone thingies. When I remove the cover, about 90% of that stuff falls into the pool and I have to spend about 10-15 minutes skimming to clean it all up.

I don't have a reel, though I don't see how that would keep the stuff on top from falling in either. So, I wanted to see if anyone has any tips on removing the cover while keeping all the junk on top out of the pool water. Keep in mind that it is a very large cover, which is pretty difficult to handle, especially with only 1 person, though we typically have 2.

Thanks,
K13

I have a reel, and what I do is roll it up and over the reel with the "back" about 1 ft from the pool so that the stuff that sticks to the cover and makes the "ride" off the pool falls off the back of the reel/cover. Then when there is about 3 feet left to reel in, I grab the cover by the corners and pull it over the reel, dumping what was left on top and the dirty water over and onto the deck. Then I just hose it away.

And mine's 40 ft so I don't want to hear it :p

LOL! We just got our first one this spring. Mine is also 40' long and it was too big and too heavy and made me whine too much so yesterday we cut it in half. Now we have two 20' pieces and it is WAY easier to handle. I don't know about MrB's technique but in the 3 or 4 weeks that I've been using the solar cover I have concluded that all debris is going in the pool every time anyway so I just wash it off a bit when removing to keep it clean. And get the net! :)

Here is the TFP fan favorite DIY solar cover. It is on my to-do list.

DIY Solar Cover Roller

I find if I fold mine before pulling it or pushing it off (if I get in and do it) not much gets in the pool. I fold the edge a few times and then pull or push it off. Once in a while I squirter the top down with the hose after laying it on the grass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.