Anyone Bypass their chlorinator?

Jul 19, 2014
Hudson Ohio
So I still use trichlor in my chlorinator. Why because it is easy and we have a short season here. I still use the tfp methods and make adjustments with 8.25% bleach as needed. Right now my chlorine is a little high at 13. my CYA is 50 so my target is 7-8. I know I can safely swim at 13. I run the chlorinator at the lowest setting and my pool runs 3x a day for 4 hours on low speed.

Since there is not a way to turn off chlorination short of removing the cartridge has anyone ever made a bypass?

Nice work! That is the right way to manage your pool. Testing and understanding your numbers and adding what you need.

I've never seen anyone bypass it but you could add a 3way valve in front of it to split the flow and tee back in on the other side. What if you only put in 1 puck at a time and let it drift down a bit in between adding another?

Nice work! That is the right way to manage your pool. Testing and understanding your numbers and adding what you need.

I've never seen anyone bypass it but you could add a 3way valve in front of it to split the flow and tee back in on the other side. What if you only put in 1 puck at a time and let it drift down a bit in between adding another?

Thanks poodv! That's kind of what I was thinking. The unit I have takes a cartridge with 1" trichlor and a mineral cartridge that I DO NOT use.

It sounds like you have some kind of system similar to the old Pool Frog I had on my pool. I cut mine out and replaced it with a T section to put my Stenner pump injector. The old Pool Frog took up so much room on the pad, I'm using the reclaimed space to put my chemical bucket. If I had had one of the standard 3" chlorine puck feeders, I would have kept it to use if if I ever wanted to, or if I ever sell the house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.