When to apply Pebble Sheen in wet weather? Ground Hog Day!

Hello,
We are putting a new inground pool in our backyard. Being near Houston in The Woodlands we have had torrential rain for it seems like weeks on end. This is the last step for us since the gunnite has be sprayed for a couple of months now. Every time it rains the pool fills to a couple of feet and when my builder drains it there is seepage or weeping of ground water back in. He is getting a little frustrated as we are! And there are some rust stains and leakage around some of the penetrations. The gunnite was applied with drains to let the ground water in during curing to relieve pressure. PebbleTec is being cautious too since they don't want to do a crummy job. Anyone out there experiencing this kind of delay? Just be patient right? Can't wait to dive in when it is all finished!

Thanks,
Stan :razz:

20000 gallons
Jandy pumps
DE filter
Swimming jets
Paramount floor clean system

Same situation here in Florida. Mine has been sitting with about a foot of green water now about 2' for almost 3 months since the gunite was sprayed. At first they pumped it out a few times but now they don't bother. PB says water won't hurt it but the gunite in deep areas has never been dry.
I expect plastering in about 2 weeks as they won't do before my screen enclosure is installed.

Definitely be patient. It seems like eternity but even this year with the freaky weather it will eventually get hot and sunny again. Even if you had to wait a month, which would be horrifying I know, it is better than 20+ years of issues from a poor application. Or a chip out and redo later.

So, the answer to your question is you apply Pebblesheen when the pros say it is time. :)

Oh, and Welcome to TFP Stan! Don't forget to post pics of your build. We love pics! You will find lots of people willing to help answer any questions you may have as the build progresses ( or in your case-doesn't. :D)

If you haven't gotten a test kit yet, get the TF-100 and splurge on the SpeedStir. It's a great tool! You can find it at TFTestkits.net

Hi Stan! I live in Cypress (vicinity of 249 and Spring Cypress) , so I know about the rains! Ugh! My pool had gunite for a long time, too, before plaster - in part due to all the rains we had last spring and June. As pooldv said, just be patient. The PebbleTec group of MMG did mine (I'm assuming you will have the same company) and was outstanding! They were probably the most skilled of all the different crews I had. I missed out on getting MMG for the gunite.

I was very worried about the rust stains and other stains, but I didn't need to be. PebbleTec sent out a guy the day before to do a final check of the pool and take measurements. He took lots of notes. He said we could power wash the stained areas before the pre-clean up crew that was coming the next day. He said not to spend a lot of time, because the pre-clean up crew would also power wash. He said it would be helpful, so my son did what he could. The pre-clean up crew did a great job. The plaster guys (came 1 or 2 days later) were phenomenal! You're in good hands! I also vote for pictures!
Take care!

Thanks to all respondants! If I did it right you can see a picture I uploaded. It is going to be a great pool but now an ugly duckling.
Patience is a virtue I don't have. Oh well, plenty of other things to do like build the shower, add a tiny water heater I found online, build the pool equipment enclosure, and the list goes on. One good thing though, you get too hot working and you can jump in the pool (maybe if it ever gets finished). Wife MC and I felt that since we are both nearly retired and have married kids with no grandchildren, if we build it they will come! Looking forward to the pool life. Will definitely buy that chem kit. It has
the test for cy acid right? Thanks for the WARM WET welcome to TFP forum. We look forward to fun and solving problems as they come up.

20.jpg

One good thing though, you get too hot working and you can jump in the pool (maybe if it ever gets finished). Wife MC and I felt that since we are both nearly retired and have married kids with no grandchildren, if we build it they will come! Looking forward to the pool life.

I had to chuckle when I read this. I'm retired and found it was getting more difficult to work in the garden with the sweltering heat. Now it's my favorite thing to do! In fact, sometimes I just jump in with my yard clothes on then go back to pulling weeds or whatever!!

I wondered the same thing about 'build it and they will come'. It works! My son in college in Oregon may not be able to get here often, but now he can't wait to be back in the pool. And I've found he stays much longer - which I love (most days - :laughblue:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.