Pool step leak

Jun 9, 2016
Rockford
I married into my pool and my husband has never been the one to deal with it so he's not a big help other than physical labor.
I have an in ground pool and this is my first. My issue is that I have a leak in my pool step gasket.
My story, The pool was not used or covered for 5 + years. I did a drain and clean and it is sparkling. :). When I filled to the steps it started leaking. It is the entire step area that will not hold water . Everything below that holds perfectly. I have had someone give an estimate on replacing the liner ($2300) and steps ($3000) but I think it is just the gasket.
I need to know if anyone has replaced a step gasket... Is there any videos or pics with step gaskets being replaced? Where do I start in this process. Would much rather replace the ($10) gasket than the entire liner.

If you could post a picture of your steps area, that would help a lot. You should be able to only replace the gasket or anchor rail to fix the problem as long as the liner is in good shape.

Also, fill out your forum signature with the details of your pool here: Edit Signature

In your forum profile, please add a state to your city. Knowing your region can help us give better advice, if or when you need advice on that front.

I have not replaced the gasket personally, but if you remove the anchor plates, then you can inspect the liner to make sure there is no tear or hole where it shouldn't be. Then you can replace the gaskets and reinstall the anchoring strips. I would do them all while you're at it... The only tricky part is getting the liner back in place with the anchor strips removed. If you could do one side at a time, that might make it more manageable.

So when I removed the first few screws of the anchor plate I found there was no gasket to begin with..... I have no idea how it held before. I'm closing it up and going to get my gaskets now. Should I drain the water off of the area before trying to get the anchor plates removed??

I assumed the area was drained based on the pictures. If not, I would drain at least a few inches below the bottom plate so it's easier to work in the area. There is always a risk of the liner wrinkling when you lower the water this much, but it's a necessary risk to fix the leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.