Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi again pool pros,

I have reported on here over the last week that we had a storm, and that my pool filled up and I had run in. Was contemplating a SLAM to clear it up, but held back, and maintained an elevated FC (~11-13, with my CYA of 60) Have been scrubbing and vacuumed a handful of times. Last few days pool has cleared up some, but still needed some time....was feeling good!

Then yesterday not long before heading home from work I get a call from the wife saying the pool is green! I said no its not, just cloudy a bit! Well sure enough when I get home, it is green. Pretty clear, but green! Now this drive me nuts, because I can promise my FC was never below 10! So with this, I calculated I needed 3 gallons to get to SLAM level, so I put that in last evening to start my SLAM. Before the SLAM, these were my numbers:

FC 11
CC 0
pH 7.4
CH 400
CYA 60 (maybe 65)
Did not run Alk test.

So I guess my question is...what gives? Is algae able to start even with a good FC level? I am only a pool owner of a few months and brand new to TFP, so this bugs me, and confused! I think I am going to run up to Leslies and see what they can do for me! they have the answers right?? (jk on Leslies part....)

Anyway, thanks for any guidance in advance!

Metals? Seriously? How did I get metals in my pool? It's not that 100% clear...still cloudy a bit.

Were you guys serious about having Leslie's test for metals? I was kidding about running up to Leslies.

Are you on a well? Ever use algaecide?

Can you take a picture for us?

Not on a well, but did add water earlier in the week. Here in San Antonio our water comes from an aquifer. We do have hard water. For house, we have a water softener. I have never used algaecide. Will have wife send me a few pics to post here in a bit.

If you cannot pass an OCLT, you should SLAM. Not half hearted elevated FC levels, full on SLAM with ladders out, lights out, lots of brushing and several test/adds per day.

I started my SLAM last night. I put in 3 jugs of 10% around 6pm, tested FC around 10pm and was 33 (BTW, I don't think I have a 25k gallon pool, because I was expecting an FC of 25!) I checked my FC this AM, and it was 27. Heading home at lunch to test again. will add 10% to maintain FC around ~30.

Wife is sending pics now. will post in a few.

My wife sent these....still cloudy a bit. you can see the green. Really hope this is not metals. Hoping a good ole SLAM will clean this up!

IMG_0197.jpgIMG_3305.jpgIMG_3306.jpgIMG_3307.jpgIMG_3308.jpg

Looking at pics, water really is not clear. So is this just algae? hoping not metals. If it is algae, my original question still holds...you can have an outbreak even with recommended FC levels?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"If it is algae, my original question still holds...you can have an outbreak even with recommended FC levels?" Short answer is No - there was a point in time that FC dropped too low. Maybe it was an area with poor circulation and warmer temps allowed it. Once algae establishes it can multiply faster than the lower FC levels can eradicate. A SLAM should remedy it pretty quickly.

Btw, I recently visited SA for the first time - very nice city. And gorgeous pool!

Thanks guys for the quick responses. Will keep you posted on results of SLAM.

BTW, my in-laws are all from Wisconsin, and HUGE Packer fans. My father in law is from Racine and my mother in law from Tomah. I love Wisconsin! Although I see you are in Chicago, but assuming you are from WI...

Went home at lunch and my FC was 24.5 so 2.5 loss from 7am. added 10% to get to FC 30. Also scrubbed it, and green dust came up. Will vacuum tonight, measure and adjust. Man this snuck up on me fast. I guess I had a lapse in there. Live and learn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.