Pool pump keeps shutting off

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Good morning everyone.

Basically, when I turn on the pump it stops a few seconds later (sometimes in 10-15 seconds). The pump simply turns off. Also, when it starts, it is making a noise that is louder than usual.

To get it back working, I need to reset the circuit breaker in my basement for the pump.

Do I need to replace it? Can I just replace the motor?

If so any recommendations of brand, HP, etc.?

I don't feel that comfortable taking it apart to check the unit, i but i have read it is easy to replace myself.

I have Hayward 1.5 HP, 1 Speed (Model SP2610X15) for my 34,000+ gallon vinyl free forming pool. I do have a waterfall, but it is rarely used.

I truly appreciate the advice

Since it's tripping the breaker I'd consider replacing the pump. You can replace just the motor, but since it's a single speed, I'd consider upgrading to a 2-speed model. Especially if it's a few years old.

It will save energy and still keep the pool circulated and filtered.

Since you have a Hayward Super Pump you could go back with another Super Pump and wouldn't have to change any plumbing. The SP2610X152S would work.

- - - Updated - - -

You could just change the motor to a 2-speed model if he wet end is in good shape. You'll need seal and gaskets if you do that.

It will save energy and still keep the pool circulated and filtered.

Since you have a Hayward Super Pump you could go back with another Super Pump and wouldn't have to change any plumbing. The SP2610X152S would work.

- - - Updated - - -

You could just change the motor to a 2-speed model if he wet end is in good shape. You'll need seal and gaskets if you do that.

How do I even determine if the wet end is in good shape? is changing seal and gaskets difficult? I am handy, but not too handy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.