New build in Indiana

Sparker

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2016
Indiana
Hello, I have been reading threads on here for about a year. I have learned so much from all of you, and so thankful for this website:D!! I have decided to have a 15X30 inground vinyl over concrete. My builder use to work for a pool company. He left and started his own concrete company, and also builds pulls on the side. He doesn't buy the kits, and is a little unconventional. Ive meet with him a few times, and have seen previous work. Here is my quote and I wanted to get opinions on filter size, skimmers, plumbing, and any other thoughts you all may have. I'm suppose to sign the contract in a few days, and digging starts next week.

15x30 rectangle sports bottom
Hayward 1HP 2 speed ( not sure of model yet)
1 skimmer
2 returns
2 main drains
1.5 pvc pipes
2.4 or 2.8 ( can't remember) sand filter
vinyl over 6ft steps
full pattern liner
600 sq ft stamped concrete @ $7.50 sq ft
cantilever coping
1 non led light

total $26,000

Thanks for checking this out and offering advice.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave:

I would consider increasing the number of return jets. I have 6 in my 16x40 and I think that makes a big difference moving water back towards the skimmer and keeping chemicals mixed well. At least increase to 4 jets. On a personal note, I have my reservations about main drains because if/when they ever develop a problem, it's usually a royal pain in the rear, quite costly to repair, or they end-up getting plugged later anyways. Two MDs seem like a lot to me. The skimmer will pick-up your surface debris, and anything that gets waterlogged and sinks can be vacuumed. But hey, that's just my personal opinion. :p Speaking of vacuuming though, perhaps have him plumb-in a separate line for vacuuming if you chose to do so. If you're not sure about suction or pressure cleaning, at least have it stubbed for now. Also, I don't see a waterfall or anything in your list, but even if you chose not to have such a feature now, you might include a separate stub-out near the pool from the return in case you ever do want to add water flow to something else later like for aeration or a water feature. It can come-off of the same return line as the jets and adjusted by a 3-way near the equipment pad. I have mine that way and it's convenient to use. Good luck!

Thank you for your advice! I absolutely love to actually swim. I use to be on a swim team in my younger years, and have always dreamed of my own pool. This is all I can afford......and I left off the " extras" . As long as I have clean water I'm good:D.
However, I'm really nervous about owning/ maintaining one. I'm pretty clueless about pools. The main drain....I don't have to have any? My builder seems to do things old school. Maybe he doesn't know any better. He was trying to push a 1.5 HP 1 speed, but I finally convinced him on the 1 HP 2 speed. For some reason he wouldn't go t o a .5 or .75 HP. I will definitely ask about plumbing in for the vacuum.....completely forgot. Maybe he does it anyway. The pool he's finishing up had their vacuum going. I've been reading threads about contracts, chemicals, and of course construction:) I definitely want to get a test kit from here. Thanks again!

We installed a 18x36 inground vinyl pool late last year, our builder went with the two main drains, one skimmer two return jets.
We are happy, but from the little time we have had ours up and running if I would change anything it would be to add a second skimmer and at least two more return jets. I spend some time with a pole/net manually skimming the top of the water. We are in the country with lots of pollen/trees and bugs, your location may be different so that's something to consider. We also went with a salt water system which we love and wouldn't change at all.
Welcome fellow Hoosier!
Were in southern Indiana close to Louisville Ky.
congratulations and good luck with the pool!

Thanks Riggs!! I'm in southern Indiana too.....southwest. About 55 miles SW of Bloomington. Would you have both skimmers on the same wall at each end? I'm thinking that would work with the way the wind blows towards my back yard. Who did you have build your pool?

Hi Sparker,

I'm sorry, but I don't feel that I know enough to recommend exactly where the second skimmer should go.
I do think prevailing wind would be important, which leads me to agree with your thoughts.
i used a guy who also worked for a large pool company but did installs on the side, I'll PM more info.
Hopefully more informed members can give you their input.

Well digging started June 23rd. They dug most of it, and came back a week later to finish the dig. (Sunny all that week) And that's all that has been done. Granted, it rained for about 6 days straight this last week. So, the plan is to pour the floor this week before more rain comes. I asked them to come pump the rain water out Friday. That way it would dry out over this 4/5 day sunny period. No one did that. So I asked again last night. Someone came today and did it. But left enough water to where it wouldn't be able to dry over the weekend. I slid down into the hole with big cups and finished it for them....fun fun!

Thank you! I'm going with a Gold pebble liner by Latham. I decided to take the floor pattern all the way up. However, a gray liner keeps calling my name lol. I've been frustrated with how many sunny days were wasted. I can't change it, and should just stop dwelling on it. But since June 16th.....they've been here maybe 10 hours. And I still have all the dirt sitting on my grass. I am very thankful for this site. I'm sure I will be asking many questions, but it seems I will have plenty of time to ask :)
QUOTE=jstblush;1088526]Congrats Sparker!
Which liner did you go with?
Sherry[/QUOTE]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I can once again post about my build. I had to fire my contractor, and hire a new pool company to finish my build. They are starting on it next Monday. I need to order my test kit ASAP!!:)
I'm ditching the main drains and will have 3 returns, and 2 jets in my bench, 2 inch plumbing, and all Pentair equipment. I will ask for extra room on the equipment pad so I can add a heater later.
In the pics above...the bump out was suppose to be my stairs. It will now be a bench. The stairs will be in the corner (on the bottom right side across from bench). All said and done....about $6,500 more than I budgeted for. I don't have it in my budget for a raised bond beam water feature. I was thinking of adding a water scupper bowl. It would just sit on the coping. I know it won't be all that loud, but I think it would be enough to enjoy.

The placement...not sure about, and would like suggestions. I was thinking on the right corner area of the bench ( where the orange flag is bottom left of pic), or on the far shorter wall, back by the digging machine??
I don't want it to look out of place on the far wall, but foot traffic will be low there. I'm leaning by the bench. Any opinions are welcome....even if it's ditching the water bowl all together.

On the long wall opposite the back porch side....I was going to get three fire columns.
I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. It's definitely been a LOONNGGG summer!!

Good to hear from you again. It sounds like is HAS been a long summer :rolleyes: I am glad you found someone that would finish it for you.

I am unsure about the placement of the water bowl. IF it is loud it is going to right there by the seating area....I guess if you have a good valve on it you can control the volume of the water which will control the sound as well.

:kim:

image.jpgHere is a drawing that I did ( not to scale and I can't draw) needs to be tilted clockwise as well:)

Either way, it will be near a seating area. My screened in porch by the far wall, and a big patio seating area where I was standing taking the pic.

I'm thinking with it being so close to the water.... It may not be that loud. I've never actually seen one in person though.

I was thinking on right side of bench, or on the short left wall at the end. I'd put it in the middle of that wall. I only planned on having 2-3 ft of patio behind that wall.
Where are you thinking of putting the bowl? That drawing is just what I needed to picture your ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a teen son, and only 2 5 year olds in the family ( sisters kids). I'm pictured them not paying attention and tripping over the bowl if its by the bench. But then again, maybe it would keep them from running around the patio. Lol

image.jpgHere are the fire columns I planned on getting for the long wall by the stairs:). They obviously can be moved around if want to. I love the look of the fire bowls on many of the pool builds I've seen on TFP. I just can't do it unfortunately.

True...maybe I shouldn't get one. I can see the dogs drinking the nice pool water from it lol.

Yes, I will be asking Santa for a fire column for Christmas, my parents for the other, and I'll get myself one:)

It appears I'll have to get my winter cover very soon.....go figure. The news just released the extended forecast. It has been hot a sunny for a month. Starting next Monday....rain.:( And falling temps each passing day to possible snow this time next month. I WILL jump into my pool before I close it!! My 3 best girlfriends and I, all want to do the cheesy holding hands, jumping in together thing. Even if it's more like a polar plunge lol.
Then, I will close it up before the pipes freeze, and have the longest winter ever:roll:
But, but, but............it is SO pretty!!!!! Maybe Santa can bring it?????????????

Someone will trip on the bowl now matter where you have it if it is on ground level :rolleyes: That is life!

Well, my excitement was short lived.:(

New PB texted me today. Said he had an unusual amount of clients wanting their pool closed, his main partner (son) is getting married on the 28th, then going on his honeymoon. Being an hour away....he wants to wait three weeks where they can be here all day everyday until it's finished. I really like my builder, and swimming this year was giving up on a long time ago.

My main concern is that it will be too cold to pour the concrete patio mid-late October. I really don't know what to do. I thought it shouldn't be below 50 degrees to cure properly.

I thought it shouldn't be below 50 degrees to cure properly.

It's certainly its preferable to pour concrete with warmer temps but that's not always possible and stay in business or meet schedules for all sorts of construction.

Concrete can be poured in colder weather and cure properly by adding calcium chloride to the concrete mix. The calcium chloride will keep the water from freezing and accelerate the curing of the concrete in cooler temps. Im sure that if necessary, this is what the concrete guys will do. The only thing the guys need to be careful about is adding too much of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.