Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening an older pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening an older pool

JasonLion,

Im new to the forums....be gentle. LOL!
    I have been searching all day w/o success re: opening my mom's pool. Have a couple of questions for you.
    Pool details : One of the first concrete Sylvan pools built (yeah, its old)
    My mom had her filtration system re-vamped 15 years ago (?) Mom has always had the "pool guy" open and close her pool. I want to save her a couple of bucks this spring by opening it for her. I think I can connect the Hayward pump myself...disconnected and stored each winter because we live in Bucks County, PA.

Pool cover is off.

Questions being...how do I get water into the lines? Do I stick a water hose into the filter basket thingy?

This old pool does not have a skimmer. Bottom drain, side inlet, side outlet.

I was born and raised in this pool and I do maintain the pool every summer. Never opened or closed since the re-vamp.

Any help is appreciated!

Becky

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening an older pool

You need to fill the pump strainer basket with water, close up the pump, and then hopefully it will prime on it's own from there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Opening an older pool

Welcome Becky
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com