Newbie with a rookie mistake!!

Jun 8, 2016
Louisville, KY
I have an above ground pool and today we left to go hiking and when i returned about a third of the water had drained out of the pool. After further investigation, I found the hose had somehow came loose from the pump. It ran for approximately 2 or 3 hours with no water in it. So I fixed the hose and every time i plug in the pump it starts for a second, then kicks the GFI breaker on the outlet. So I did a little research and saw that it may had melted the impeller. Took cover off and everything looked fine and impeller and shaft rotated smoothly. So i decided to plug it in without the housing on the pump, and it ran without kicking the breaker. Put it all back together and same result. Seems as if it is struggling to turn or something when water is in the lines. Help please!!! The pump is a Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1510Z1XBC. P.S. If i have this posted in the wrong place would someone please let me know. Thanks again!!!!

You may have warped the housing and the impeller can't turn. If you hear it spinning see water moving (but don't hear any strange noises indicating something's hitting something it shouldn't) before it trips, then I'd guess some electrical connection inside the motor got overheated. When the load gets put on the motor, things heat up again and something expands and shorts out and trips the breaker.

You can't do anything about it tonight. Add some bleach and mix it up with the brush so the pool doesn;t go green on you while you figure it out.