Wiring 2 speed toggle switch

May 18, 2016
Kennesaw Ga
Hi Again, I decided to follow the advice given to me from this site and purchase the Pentair SuperFlow 2 Speed pump (340042) to replace an old 1.5 hp Hayward.
However, there was no toggle switch when the pump arrived (thought there would be :(). So I purchased the switch (79129900) from INYO Pools and can really use some guidance with the wiring.

The existing cable providing power to the pump has a Black, White and Green wire. It is 220v (there's two 20 amp breakers in tandem at the main panel.)
Those three wires are connected to the old pump as follows:
L1 - White wire
L2 - Black wire
Green to ground screw

Inside the Pentair, the connections are labeled 1, 2, 3 or 4 (not L1, L2, A) and the toggle switch I purchased has a Yellow, White and Black wire. (see the pic I included)

My questions are:
1) Which pump connectors do I connect my Black and White wires to that provide the power, and
2) What do I do with the Black wire from the toggle switch, since it has a plastic cap over it.

Hope the pic helps
Pump switch wiring.jpg

This is such a great site and I really appreciate the time you guys take answering questions from us newbies.
Truly appreciate your help

Don

One of your incoming HOT wires goes to the black wire on the switch (should be in the middle).
The other HOT goes to Terminal 1 in the motor.
White from switch to 3/4
Yellow from switch to 2

BTW, bad form for the White wire to be a HOT wire, unless properly marked with electrical tape on both ends.

Jason, thank you for the feedback. It makes perfect sense now. Part of my confusion was why the black wire was the only wire with a cap on it. Also, the white (power) wire did have black electrical tape on it, which I dismissed thinking it was to help keep the white wire on the L1 lug. Duh, I'm an idiot. Thank you again. I plan to install the new pump this weekend.

Hello Don,

Please except my apologies for jumping on your thread. But I barely just get what or how people are talking wiring the two speed pump with toggle switch.

So if you could help out an old retired sailor, it would be much appreciated!

Do you have pictures of the final wiring with the switch?

If you do, not only are you the man! But, Don I would send you a five pack! Just send me your address.

Thank you for your time and assistance,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.