LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi all. New user, first post. Great site.

So I had my water tested at the pool store (Pioneer Pools). I don't have a decent kit yet (can't find the TF-100 in Canada - not easily anyway). My PH was 7.8, stabilizer was 25, TA was 110, everything else was fine, though I don't know how my calcium went from 150 to 230 in two weeks all on it's own (another reason I want my own kit).

Anyway, the computer tester the store uses suggested 'x' amount of PH Down, which is a powdered product the store sells. They also have muriatic acid for sale.

It's $11.99 for 3kg of PH Down and the same price for 4 litres of muriatic acid.

Should I be using one over the other being a salt water pool? Is four litres a better deal than 3kg for the same price?

Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

In those quantities, if the muriatic acid is 20 Baume 31.45% that quantity will lower the PH by almost twice as much as that quantity of PH Down (which we call dry acid).

Also, with a SWG there is a long term risk of cell damage if you use dry acid.

Thanks for the quick reply. What kind of damage does the powder cause to the cell?

The Duoclear comes with a lifetime warranty on the cell (as long as I replace the mineral cartridge yearly - yes, I know most of your opinions regarding this cartridge). They say it should last 3-5 years and when it quits I get a free replacement. What I need to figure out is how much a new cell costs vs $100 a year for the cartridge and see if I come out ahead.

Belive it or not, the Home Depot near me doesn't carry muriatic acid. I checked a RONA store (like a Home Depot but Canadian) and they have it for the same price as the pool store ($11.99), but the salesman told me some guy came in on the weekend and bought all the four litre jugs because he was opening his pool. He must be a member here..hahaha.

Anyway, I found two four litre jugs at the Canadian Tire for $8.99 in the paint dep't. It is 20 Baume etc. After donning my level 4 biohazard suit, I poured 12 ounces in front of the deep end return.

I caught a whiff of this stuff as it was going in - wow! Powerful stuff. Is it OK to swim shortly after pouring this MA in?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.