Noob looking for advice

May 31, 2016
Bristol,CT
Hello! My name is Jim and I have a new to me 25k inground pool. See signature for details.

I went crazy with chemicals after I pulled the cover off to discover a green mess. I threw Algaecide and Shock from the local box store. Got the green gone and then flocked it to get it to settle . I have been vacuuming, scrubbing the walls, and rinsing the cartridges in the filter. Filter has been running a week and it is still cloudy. I got the PH and TA good 7.8/130 before I bought the Taylor K-2006 testing kit.

Here is what testing tonight. First post here... so go easy on me!

PH 7.6
FC 0.8
CC 4.2
TA 130
CYA 0 (never got the dot to disappear)
CH (never got the solution to turn red. It was purple-ish blue)

Looks like I need a boatload of chlorine. Any advise would be appreciated as it would get my kids off my back!

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

What was the "shock" that you added?
With the 0 CYA and the high CC levels, you could be a candidate for ammonia.

Dose the FC up to 10ppm (use PoolMath), wait 10-15 minutes, retest FC and CC, repeat until the CCs drop and the FC starts to hold.

Then add 30ppm of CYA and follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Although I highly recommend you read these so you understand some of the chemistry before you start:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Well if the mega shock was liquid, then it was likely just stronger bleach.

Follow the instructions in my previous post ... report the FC and CC readings here each time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guess you already said 68%. My bad for missing that.
Can you do it one more time? You are right on the cusp.

- - - Updated - - -

Cross-post. I will try to stay online as others seem to have retired for the evening.

Good for you for fighting this thing. Do you have CYA on hand ready to go when you start holding chlorine?

I will test in 10 minutes. I have 7 lbs of stabilizer on hand. Enough?

I am I just reporting FC and CC. Or should I be testing other numbers?
No, just Fc & CC. You pH shouldn't have changed in so little time.

6 pounds of CYA ought to be enough. That'll get you to 29. When you test (in a few days), it'll show as 30ish, which is perfect for a SLAM. Just assume it's in there once you add the sock. Yes, sock. Or nylon. Don't just pour it in the pool or in the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.