The pain and agony has subsided, now time to get to work.

Jun 14, 2014
Aberdeen,MD
Good evening TFPer's,

So after a long awaited summer, it's finally time to get the pool in mint condition and make it swimmable.

It's been a rough opening. A family member whose name shall rename anonymous, had a bit too many, and "accidentally" (not sure how this happened) dropped one of the cinder blocks holding the pool cover down on the deck in the case of strong winds into the pool. This of course created a hole, which in turn ended up draining the entire pool. Worst part is, I was unaware of this for roughly 3 weeks after it happened.

I went ahead and patched the hole, filled it up with some water to see if it would hold, and sure enough the patch is doing it's job and the pool will survive. After this trouble, we had a few weeks of terrible weather than produced a large amount of rain. Afterwards, I took a look and our lovely pool was now a tree frog brothel and thousands of tadpoles were calling it home. I spent an hour or so skimming the water and getting as many as I could, but there are just too many, and I'm afraid some of them will be sacrificed for the greater good when I shock the pool.

I've went ahead and filled up the pool 3/4 so far, and the filter, pump, and all the lines are connected now, so I'm just wondering if I should wait until the pool gets to the normal water level before I tackle the water chemistry?

Have you tested your fill water? That would be a good starting point to know what you need to have on hand to get your water fixed up. Time to turn it into a pool instead of a brothel LOL

I see you have the Taylor 2006. Good job. Since you are going to have to SLAM you might want to go ahead and order some more test regents for the FC test and any others you might be low on. You WILL run out of the FC test doing a SLAM without refilling. Look in my siggy for a place to order what you need.

Here is the link to the SLAM just in case you need it.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Remember it is a process instead of a one time thing.

Kim:cat:

Have you tested your fill water? That would be a good starting point to know what you need to have on hand to get your water fixed up. Time to turn it into a pool instead of a brothel LOL

I see you have the Taylor 2006. Good job. Since you are going to have to SLAM you might want to go ahead and order some more test regents for the FC test and any others you might be low on. You WILL run out of the FC test doing a SLAM without refilling. Look in my siggy for a place to order what you need.

Here is the link to the SLAM just in case you need it.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Remember it is a process instead of a one time thing.

I have not tested the current water yet. There is a bit of algae and of course pollen and tadpoles in it :) I also have more reagents on the way.

Thanks!

So, I've filled the pool up to the correct level. Just need to fill the sand filter with some water now and then get the pump running.

Just took the PH/AK readings and I'm at about 9.0 for PH and 45ppm for AK.

Once I get the filter/pump running, I'd imagine the first thing I should do is get the PH squared away, correct?

Once you get the pump working and the water circulated ... THEN you can run a full set of tests on the water to see what needs to be done.

EDIT: Just remembered this was a fresh fill ... so your numbers should be close to right, but I would confirm.

Once you get the pump working and the water circulated ... THEN you can run a full set of tests on the water to see what needs to be done.

EDIT: Just remembered this was a fresh fill ... so your numbers should be close to right, but I would confirm.

So first off, just tried turning the pump on, and it's leaking on the top valve of the pump. I have all the pieces but the line seems like it's too big for the mouth of the valve. I had the grey hose attached first and then I tried the black.

What am I doing wrong here?

20160609_193525.jpg

So first off, just tried turning the pump on, and it's leaking on the top valve of the pump. I have all the pieces but the line seems like it's too big for the mouth of the valve. I had the grey hose attached first and then I tried the black.

What am I doing wrong here?

View attachment 49834

It seems that I don't recall which hoses connect are used for which now because both the return opening on the pool and the valve at the top of filter are leaking. I don't recall having to use any type of sealant before but maybe that is what I will need since they don't seem to fit on securely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you hard plump it? Make sure to add unions and valves is you can. It will make your pool life easier and no more worries about hoses popping off!

Hard plumbing seems the way to go. The pool has survived quite awhile with the regular old hoses but this year they just aren't fitting properly. I'll have to do some investigation and figure out what all I need to hard plumb.

I have the pump running and circulating now. Next up would be to run a full test I assume? My FC, CC, and CYA will most definitely be 0 due to the algae from rain water build up and fresh fill. However, the PH and AK shouldn't have changed a whole lot from when I took the stagnant reading the other day which was 9.0 and 45ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.