Another year, another clean up. :(

starsfan33

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2014
Nevada, TX
HELLO MY FAVORITE FORUM AND FOLKS OF HELPFUL ENCOURAGEMENT! ;-)

so, its another year and I have yet to master the shutting down of the pool. Again, the pool just set out from last summer to this summer with no attention or closing...and it turned multi-colors and shades of green until it was practically just a black swamp of nastiness! After weeks of putting off the opening of the pool because of dread of a small fortune of bleach...I made the decision to just drain the swamp and start over. The pool is almost drained. The problem is....the side walls have a lot of build up that doesn't seem to be coming off with a brush (admittedly not a lot of effort has been put into this yet). So far, based on previous experience I believe this to be maybe calcium scaling... but of course I can't be sure yet. My initial thought is to wash the pool out the best I can, fill it back up, get the levels adjusted properly and see if the scale seems to loosen up enough to scrub off. I do not want to scrub to hard right now because the pool has been drained and the vinal isn't all that "wet" as it would be if it were filled.

Here are a couple pictures of the mess in waiting! ;-)

20160608_172029_zpsgiwuhtiu.jpg

20160608_172032_zpsejneuhfv.jpg

Most TFPers in TX do not ever close the pool. You just maintain the proper chemistry over the winter.

How old is that liner? If you fully drain the pool, the liner may shrink and rip when you try to refill ... that is a much bigger bill than some bleach.

Most TFPers in TX do not ever close the pool. You just maintain the proper chemistry over the winter.

How old is that liner? If you fully drain the pool, the liner may shrink and rip when you try to refill ... that is a much bigger bill than some bleach.

I am somewhat concerned about that as well...but not overly. This is only the 3rd swim season with this linner, and while its got scale all over it, it seems to still be in solid shape. and, its got some slack in it so it would have to do a lot of shrinking. Our plan is to have it all cleaned out by tomorrow night and start the refill. I suspect that there will be a little residual green...but it will be very diluted by the time the pool is full again and once I get the levels up to shock it should start to kill off what is left. With luck, the scale will soften up and we can get in and start scrubbing! ;-)

I accept that all my thoughts could be wrong, and we could end up with a ripped liner and have to start over with a new liner...but at this point, im willing to take the risk and see if I can get another season or 2 out of this liner before replacing it, because when I replace it, I want to have the bottom re-leveled with more sand and im just not ready for all of that just yet. :)

obviously, I want thoughts and comments even if you think I'm wrong in my thoughts. Please share...it is the communication and feedback that I crave! this form has been instrumental for 2 seasons of swim in keeping me sane...I NEED YOU AGAIN! ;-)

LOVE This community! ;-)

Thanks,
Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you on a well Steve? Just wondering where all that scale came from?

Are you on a well Steve? Just wondering where all that scale came from?

Not on a well Casey....

sadly what happened was that the pool started to turn green-ish after the swim season was over, and I never "closed" the pool. but I did turn off the pump and just let the pool sit. It just kept getting worse and worse...and we have had horrible storms and lots of rain...so there is no telling what that did to the water. Not to mention tons of leaves and branches from the trees. It just became a big ol' mess!

I knew the water was bad, and knew i was likely going to drain /refill...but I never dreamed the stuff on the walls would be hard and stuck to the liner and not responding to a brush. Hopefully that will work out so that I can get another swim season out of this liner but im prepared to buy another one if needed.

:)

Thank you!

Steve, please make an appearance this fall when you're ready to close. I know,a lot of Texans don't close but if you feel you have to because you can't be bothered, let us help you. Also, it helps if you take your investment more seriously. I don't mean to flog you with a pool noodle but.... well, yeah I do! :mrgreen: You bought the pool to enjoy and we'd like you to enjoy it and take care of it.

Steve, please make an appearance this fall when you're ready to close. I know,a lot of Texans don't close but if you feel you have to because you can't be bothered, let us help you. Also, it helps if you take your investment more seriously. I don't mean to flog you with a pool noodle but.... well, yeah I do! :mrgreen: You bought the pool to enjoy and we'd like you to enjoy it and take care of it.

Very much agree with you. I deserve to be flogged (with a pool noodle)! :)

I am seriously hoping with the Liquinador, this helps me stay on top of things. Plus, I bought a pool cover so I can cover the pool when not in use. that should help as well.

Ok good people of TFP....lots of work today! So let me start by saying, that was the most FOUL smelling stench EWWW!!!!! GROSS!!! NASTY!!!!!

Ok, now that THAT is out of the way....

So there was a TON of sludge in the bottom of this thing! I am going to post a couple pics of where were at. You can see what was remaining when we started the refill...and im certain that it looks like its still to much (I would agree)! We got to the point where the submersible pump couldn't pump anymore, so we bucket dipped and dumped as much as we could. We swept and scooped TONS of leaves, branches, and sludge out of this thing....but we didn't get it all. we did get MOST of it out. At that point, I felt the best way to continue was to start refilling. Yes, im aware there is still a lot of sludge in there and some leaves...but we worked hard, got what we could with what our backs would allow...and now were going to fill the pool back up, and start the SLAM process from there. What a brutal process this one has been. I have learned my lesson for the last time! it's so nice to know that I CAN clean it all up....but even better to know I don't have to do that if I take care of it properly...and that is the goal going forward! ;-)

20160609_132315_zps9tuwksdt.jpg

20160609_132322_zpsroenkycf.jpg

Get that pool full!

Working on it! :)

so after we got about a foot of water, I added some CYA and 10% and mixed it all around real good. I wanted to get some in there ASAP and will keep adding a little more as it comes up. I already know that when it is full I need to have it at SLAM level to finish the cleaning process so im just adding as we go along. once filled, I will run a complete set of tests. some of the scale is flaking off from the pressure of the water as I spray the walls. that is encouraging (even though most of it is not budging). I believe once its full and soaking in water with bleach, that it will loosen up and be scrub-able. ;-) (FINGERS CROSSED!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.