Burlington, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Sorry if I am using any terminology wrong. If you look at the below picture I swiped from Google (this is not my pool), you will see the installer caulking between the top of the tile line and below (what I think is called) the coping. In my pool I am afraid that this line of caulking will soon need replacing. I am wondering what type of caulking I would need. Also, when would you consider it a problem where it needs replacement? Some (most) walls of my pool are fine, while some others have small (maybe 1/4") gaps around the line of caulking.

sample.jpg

I would mix two part pool putty white and black to get the right gray color and go along and push it into the crack. It also cures underwater so if your tile line mortar has any cracks you can put some in there too.

Pool putty seems like a good idea. You have to have some flex in whatever you use as that joint will expand and contract.

I used polyurethane caulk on mine and it worked quite well. Pool putty might be a bit easier to work with.

So you are talking about something like this, correct? Also, when do you think these small cracks pose a problem where I need to think about repairs? Should I fill in the small gaps with this sealant now, or wait another season or two until the problem is more obvious. As I mentioned, some, if not most, of the line of caulking is not in need of repair.

I like this better

Sikaflex 29 fl. oz. Grey Self-Leveling Sealant-106711 - The Home Depot

Small cracks aren't really an issue. Maybe up to 1/8". You just don't want a bunch of water getting in there. So, it also depends on how much splashing there is in the pool. But, if you are like us with group cannonballs and my son who is on the high school swim team swimming laps doing the fly then there is a LOT of splashing up under the coping.

One last question... would you advise if I were to repair the small gaps, that I dig out the existing line of caulking, or caulk over what is already there?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a pool that was just finished being refurbished in May. All new concrete decking was poured around the pool, completely new mini pebble surface in the pool, and new glass tiles. Most of our caulking under the coping has already separated from the tile after about 45 days. Problem? I will call the company out if needed and this is not normal. Thanks!

We were told that the coping floats from the pool so it will need to expand and contrat from the temp swings especially in winter vs summer. We have a cover star auto cover where there is an aluminum rail but I doubt we have any caulking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.