Hey Y'all from Oklahoma!

poolpapa

Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Stillwater, OK
I don't actually talk like that. First, let me say thank you to all the forum members who contribute to the common good of all pool owners. I've learned a ton and TFP has helped me to make many decisions in installing and equipping our pool! We bought the "bones" used and then equipped it the way we wanted it. We got it up and filled with water before I was finished with the plumbing and electric. I started dumping some bleach in from the start to keep undesirable growths to a minimum. Now I am fully operational and starting to balance the water. T-100 kit came in yesterday. The water is clear but there are some greenish/brown slimey chunky kind of things on the bottom. I don't have pics. Can someone speculate as to what that may be?? Thanks!!! :D

Welcome to TFP! Hey ya'll back, I don't talk like that either, some of the time.

Wait! clear water, a supporter already, pool equipment in signature, city and state in location, a TF100. Am I in Wonderland???? :-D LOL!

Thanks for supporting TFP!

My guess is decomposing leaves? Are you planning to SLAM now?

Hey neighbor! Thanks for the welcome!! It's not leaves. Some form of algea maybe. I don't know if i really need to slam since the water actually looks good except for a few things on the bottom. I told the grandkids they could swim on Saturday because I thought I'd have it chemically ready. Thoughts???

If your water is clear now then they are swimming!

Can you scoop it out? If not, brush it.

Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight and let's see if there is a little something in the water. What is your CYA? Do you have some bleach or liquid chlorine? Know how to use Poolmath? Go ahead and raise FC to 10 this evening after sunset, run the pump and test FC 30 min later for the "before" reading.

It is safe to swim when
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
Water is clear

I'll net the "chunkies" out as best I can 'til the new pool vacuum arrives Friday.

No tests yet today but yesterday PH was 7.2, FC was barely there and CYA was non-exsistent. I'll grab some more 10% pool chlorine at WalMart ($2.50/gal) and get the FC to 10 tonight and see what happens.

PoolMath is pretty cool. I think I've figured it out! I really appreciate your help!

You're welcome! Get 40 ppm of CYA/stabilizer into a couple of knee highs, tell the mrs (poolmama? :)) it is for a good cause! Grandkids! Get the granular from Lowes or big box, it comes in a 4lb jug. More here on adding chems to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

It will protect your FC from the sun and buffer the harshness of the chlorine so you won't even know it's there.