LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Has anyone figured out a way, short of replacing water, to keep the CYA levels from increasing higher and higher as the season progresses? I'm using stabilized Tri-Chlor 3" tabs.
Apologies if this topic has been posted before or stickied somewhere.

Thanks -

Has anyone figured out a way, short of replacing water, to keep the CYA levels from increasing higher and higher as the season progresses? I'm using stabilized Tri-Chlor 3" tabs.
Apologies if this topic has been posted before or stickied somewhere.

Thanks -

stop!!!!!!!!!! " I'm using stabilized Tri-Chlor 3" tabs."..........STOP DOING THIS AND USE GOOD OLD BLEACH!!!

Message received LOUD AND CLEAR. I have used bleach in the past. Honestly, I just got tired of lugging those jugs around. One fell over once. It leaked and destroyed the carpet in my Tahoe. OK, so . . . till something comes along to prevent the increased build up of CYA, I'll go back to juggin' it. I've been adequately corrected.

Just as a follow-up to being thoroughly chastised for falling from TFP grace by using tabs, I discovered one of our Wal-Mart stores is selling 10% Liquid Chlorine this season for $2.50/gal. A five-gallon 10% from a local chemical company is $35.

Tablets can be used in limited circumstances without issue ... like in areas with short seasons, where they partially drain for winter, and/or get a LOT of rain to dilute the CYA build up.

Yes, I believe the chastising got a bit excessive, especially with this little tidbit: there is nothing in TFP that prohibits the use of pucks. TFP is about knowing what is in the stuff you put in your water and following the FC/CYA chart. Pucks are generally a bad idea because it starts to get out of hand as the CYA rises, but if someone is completely OK with the necessary water changes then the use of pucks is their business. It is something that annoys me a bit that people believe you MUST use liquid chlorine. It is by far the best option as it does not add anything but chlorine and salt, but that doesn't make it the only option.

However, there are no magic CYA-free pucks (there are cal-hypo sticks but they require a special feeder and then you have the CH rising problem) and no magic potion that makes CYA disappear (despite BioActive's claims). If you use pucks you have to reduce your CYA through water dilution, no way out of that. If you can't change the water and want to avoid lugging jugs you can opt for an SWG or use lithium-hypochlorite instead. Lithium-hypo is insanely expensive compared to liquid chlorine but is an option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.