Hayward super pump died

May 23, 2016
Ontario
Hi

I am looking for a recommendation on a new pool pump. Mine died yesterday. Sigh.

I am thinking of a variable speed pump for the energy savings but based on my current setup (old) and small pool size (15000g), I am not sure I would achieve any savings.

I currently have a Hayward Super pump (Sp-1607-z1-m 1hp), crystal flo t200bp-1 sand filter and my piping is likely 1.5 inches. I also have a turbo skimmer with the single jet.

Can you recommend a new pump based on my current setup, and give your opinion on if a VS pump can achieve any savings? I have seen some references that smaller pools do not reap as many benefits from VS. living in Canada where pool is open for maybe 4-5 months it will take longer to recoup any savings. Also, fwhat I have read a 3/4 hp pump may have been a better match for my size, sound right?

Thanks
B

A 3/4 HP or 1 HP pump would be plenty for your pool. There is a middle ground between a single speed and a variable speed pump: a two-speed pump. It gives you the ability to run at a lower RPM but does not increase the cost of the pump by a substantial amount. Check out pricing at various sites. If you become a contributor here at TFP, we've recently added a new benefit of discounts on purchase at the site where you can start your search below:

Swimming Pool Pumps - Pool Pump - INYOPools.com

A 3/4 HP or 1 HP pump would be plenty for your pool. There is a middle ground between a single speed and a variable speed pump: a two-speed pump. It gives you the ability to run at a lower RPM but does not increase the cost of the pump by a substantial amount. Check out pricing at various sites. If you become a contributor here at TFP, we've recently added a new benefit of discounts on purchase at the site where you can start your search below:

My pool place is suggesting the energy efficient single speed Hayward 1/2 hp Tri-Star sp3205ee. Given the current electricity prices (18 cent pkwh - peak), the fact that my pool is smaller (operating less time), and the fact that the pool season is shorter here (4 months), I may not recoup the extra cost of the pump for many years.

The tristar mentions 2 to 2.5 inch plumbing, but I am running 1.5 inch, will this be an issue?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.