What's the best way to drain water from the pool . . .

Jun 4, 2016
Massachusetts
With a cartridge filter? Full pool+rain+kids not swimming=over-full pool. I think that the fullness of the pool is contributing to my filter issues. I know that I could open the pump and let if flood the pump/filter area, but I rather not do that. Should I just try to siphon out an inch or 2 (going to rain again). Or, is there some way of attaching a hose to the filter or pump to drain water?

Thanks,

Lynne

With an AG pool, a hose over the side siphon should work pretty well and you can direct where you want it.

But what "issue" are you having with the filter?

I have a cartridge filter with a 1.5HP Jacuzzi pump. Since opening and cleaning out the pool, I've been getting debris that is not getting filtered out and collects on the bottom. The water is crystal clear and has been as soon as we got enough water in the pool to run the filter and chlorinated. The guy who installed my pool gave me the cartridge filter (used) last year, and I think the cartridge needs to be replaced. In the meantime, here in New England every kind of bud, needle, and pollen is falling from the sky. I've been running the filter 24/7, but the water is to the top of my skimmer, so it's not very effective (but that's only for the last 2 days).

I tried to siphon the water, but it wouldn't keep going - I think I need to have the hose at or below the water level - it has to go up and over the side, then come down, and it won't. There's an outlet on the bottom of the filter, so I think I'm going to hook that up to my old backwash hose with a spigot so that I can direct the water away from my filter/pump area.

Lynne

Most debris will either float or sink. Very little stays suspended in the water which can't be removed anyway by even the best filters (< 2 micron). So the best advice I can give is to make sure the skimmer is working and removing the debris before is sinks to the bottom. Do you have a vacuum for the pool floor?

In order to start a siphon, the hose must be completely filled with water. Place the entire hose inside the pool but a little at a time so it fills with water and all the air escapes. Submerge the end of the hose that is left and place your palm over the end of the hose under water. Then quick pull it out and over the side wall and make sure it remains lower than water level or the siphon will stop. Remove your hand and once the siphon starts flowing, you can remove as much hose as you want from the pool except for the end in the water. You can then move the hose where you want it to drain.

I have been vacuuming, but the debris settles back in 24 hours (it was a shorter time frame even last week, but I've managed to vacuum out a large amount using a basket liner in the skimmer - I've gotten a lot of the fine stuff out that way, but you can't see every little bit, so some comes back in and settles.

Thanks for the tutorial on how to siphon, I will try that. It will be tricky due to the fence around the pool - I cannot get over the side with my hand on one end of the hose. I'll have to bring it to the side of the deck, let go, then push it down so it's below the water level. Maybe I can have my DH, DS, or DD stand on the other side and take the hose from me - yeah, that's what I'll try.

Thanks,

Lynne

There is another way to start a siphon if you have a hose bib nearby that is below water level. Connect the hose to the hose bib, put the other end into the pool and turn on the water as if you are filling the pool. Once the air stops bubbling up, turn off the water and disconnect the hose from the hose bib. The siphon should start right away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.