AG pool decision....easy set, metal frame, or ultra?

Jun 4, 2016
Panama City
I've got two girls ages 7+9, and space for at least a 15' maybe 18' pool. 36-48" but no more. Youngest daughter is not quite 48". I've got big shoulders so excavating dirt is no problemo! But thinking seasonal even tho we live in Fl. That way I don't have to worry about cleaning all thru the year...3/4 acre lot with 23 pines all 50' + in height. I'm a aquarium enthusiast, SW and fw, so testing and quality control are no big deal. I'm used to maintaining tanks of water, this pool should just be another "tank" just with different parameters and chemicals. I've read thru pool school and the temporary pool sections. Budget is 300 or so. It's getting hotter, and these kids are constantly bugging me to take them to the beach. We live 15 minutes from the "Emerald Coast" and the worlds most beautiful beaches. Never had a pool before, but love the idea of the tfp method. I'm open to suggestions!!!

Ultra is by far the best option, you will want to add a skimmer, a net , a hose vacuum, and maybe upgrade to a sand filter which is hard to manage on that $300 budget.

So if I were going to try to do this on a fairly strict $300 budget, I would go with the Intex Easy Set

From Amazon

Easy Set 15-Foot-by-36-Inch Round Pool Set $169.99

INTEX DELUXE SKIMMER USE WITH ABOVE GROUND EASY SET SWIMMING POOLS ONLY $24.86
(not to be confused with the $19.95 wall skimmer for non Easy-Set)

Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2800 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI $110

Plus some filter sand from Lowes $10 per 50 pound sack (77 pounds needed) so $20 and you have some extra (you must use pool filter sand not play sand or all purpose sand)

So we are at $325 before a pool cleaning kit with leaf rake, basic vacuum, etc. which will likely run another $25, then another $15 for a basic test kit, ..... so realistically even with an Easy Set you are looking in the $400 ballpark

If you can swing another $100 in the budget though I would suggest 14x42 ultra-frame ( $270 on Amazon) with roughly the same upgrades, although you might want to plumb in a real skimmer for another $15.

Ok in that case I would suggest getting a Hayward above ground skimmer instead of the cheesy Intex over the wall skimmer listed above and adding it to your pool, there are numerous threads on here about adapting these to intex pools and plumbing.

Here is a random youtube video or two

Intex pool wall skimmer install - YouTube

Intex pool skimmer Hayward DE Filter - YouTube

You may have to get creative I have read that intex has redesigned their inline valves again this year they have switched from the plunger style push pull valve to a similar looking twist valve. Intex tubing and valves are metric and of course domestic pool equipment and plumbing supplies you find in big box stores are english. (well US NTP to be exact)

Ike

p.s. here is the skimmer I would probably pick Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit $39.99 on Amazon as it comes with the vacuum adapter plate, etc. The amazon listing reviews of this skimmer even show how to photos to install on an intex ultra frame

Ok in that case I would suggest getting a Hayward above ground skimmer instead of the cheesy Intex over the wall skimmer listed above and adding it to your pool, there are numerous threads on here about adapting these to intex pools and plumbing.

Here is a random youtube video or two

Intex pool wall skimmer install - YouTube

Intex pool skimmer Hayward DE Filter - YouTube

You may have to get creative I have read that intex has redesigned their inline valves again this year they have switched from the plunger style push pull valve to a similar looking twist valve. Intex tubing and valves are metric and of course domestic pool equipment and plumbing supplies you find in big box stores are english. (well US NTP to be exact)

Ike

p.s. here is the skimmer I would probably pick Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit $39.99 on Amazon as it comes with the vacuum adapter plate, etc. The amazon listing reviews of this skimmer even show how to photos to install on an intex ultra frame

thanks! i went looking tonight at the in store selection at target and big lots. going to check kmart and Walmart tomorrow.

I have. 4 dv
I've got two girls ages 7+9, and space for at least a 15' maybe 18' pool. 36-48" but no more. Youngest daughter is not quite 48". I've got big shoulders so excavating dirt is no problemo! But thinking seasonal even tho we live in Fl. That way I don't have to worry about cleaning all thru the year...3/4 acre lot with 23 pines all 50' + in height. I'm a aquarium enthusiast, SW and fw, so testing and quality control are no big deal. I'm used to maintaining tanks of water, this pool should just be another "tank" just with different parameters and chemicals. I've read thru pool school and the temporary pool sections. Budget is 300 or so. It's getting hotter, and these kids are constantly bugging me to take them to the beach. We live 15 minutes from the "Emerald Coast" and the worlds most beautiful beaches. Never had a pool before, but love the idea of the tfp method. I'm open to suggestions!!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got two girls ages 7+9, and space for at least a 15' maybe 18' pool. 36-48" but no more. Youngest daughter is not quite 48".

Ultra Frame for sure! If you've got room for 18', definitely go with 18'.

Remember, pool height is not water height/depth, so a 48" depth pool would be good, but if you get a deal on a 52" pool, go with it, as the water level would only be about 46" and you could keep the water a bit lower until your youngest grows.

I'd recommend you get the most you can buy right now when it comes to the pool. You can upgrade the pump if you want, next year.

I bought 3 above ground pools; first a very small 13ft round only 2ft deep (to float in), then a 18x9 rectangle, then an 18' round. I wasted money. Used the first two just for one season each. This is my second season with the 18ft round and it's in great shape.

Your girls are going to love it!

UPDATE!!! I waited too long by dragging my feet, missed out on the sales and then couldn't find an ultra frame let alone a metal intex frame pool. I purchased a Summerwaves 17'x52". water height of 45.5 inches, the spot I picked was exactly 2" out of level, I ran with it because we ain't got time.... its JULY! Used two hoses from the city water supply after determining that our well water is not the greatest and had a lot of rust in it. Got it filled in a little less than 7 hrs. (6500gallons). Kids couldnt stay out of it, we cooled off quite a bit...I plugged in the pump, after we got done, which is one of those skimmer/pump all in ones. Anyone care to give a recommendation on better pump, I'm all ears and ready. I did add 24 oz of 10% chlorine from wally world slowly about 30mins ago after I put the kids to bed. Ill get Cya tomorrow and my k-2006 kit is on its way from amazon. I will test my ph in the morning with my kit from the aquariums that I run. Just as a fyi...the pool was $306 otd at big lots, another 120 in new garden hoses and tarp (20x40 doubled up) and 30 for noodles, chlorine, thermometer, and extra filters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.