New plaster - No chlorine, High PH - Need help

firehunter

Bronze Supporter
Feb 24, 2016
Houston
So new pool was plastered last Wed. Muratic acid was added Wed, Th, and Fri. Not sure what chlorine, but one skimmer had what looked like white chunks of something disolving.

I tested the water a few times and Chlorine and PH were good. Now today the test shows no chlorine and high PH. PB is still on vacation and said their pool person doesn't come until Friday and to take water to Leslie's to see what they want us to add. We reminded them that they said their pool person would test and add chemicals when necessary and that we shouldn't have to take care of the pool ourselves right now. Didn't even have pool school yet.

So if we can't get them to have their pool person come sooner. Should we go to Leslie's or just use the TF-100 kit? Not quite sure what to do with it besides the easy Chlorine and PH test. And how much muratic acid and bleach should we add? Have not had time to read about testing yet, so need crash course right away, but still hoping PB sends their pool person asap! We are not happy with PB right now.

I would add MA to get the pH down to around 7.4 and add some bleach to get the FC up to 2 to 3 PPM you could try testing for CYA (I suspect that is what the white chunks were) but depending on when it was added the results may not be accurate for a few more days. Stay out of the pool store

- - - Updated - - -

oh and use the TF-100 that is why you bought it, a full set of test would be a great idea but as I said you will want to do the CYA again in a few days

MA looked like some nasty stuff with fumes and smell when the pool person added it. Can pool wait until Friday?

If we need to add now... How do I calculate how much MA and bleach to add? Do I need to wait between adding MA and bleach? When should test again after adding?

Thank you.

I would not wait till Friday for either but certainly not the bleach, add the bleach first in front of a return while the pump is on. Wait 20 or 30 min then the MA it can be nasty stuff, stay up wind, submerge the jug down in to the pool so that the spout is near the surface of the water that way when you pour it goes in gently and keeps splashing to a minimum.

Thank you for all the help and tips. It is very much appreciated. We asked PB to send someone out today and if that doesnt happen we will do it ourselves.

PB sent us this to calculate the gallons:
To calculate gallons of your pool it is;
Average Length X Average Width
X Average Depth X 7.5

Our pool is 31' x 20' and 3.5' to 6', so is this correct:

31x20x4.75x7.5= 22,087.5

That is one estimate, but I feel like that might be a little high.

Just pick a number, use PoolMath, add a dose and see if you hit your target. Over time you can refine your volume estimate.

I agree with jblizzle seems high especially with the Baja shelf and steps taking up a bit of space.

If your water is metered you may be able to take a reading now against last months usage, back out the average daily usage since the last bill and get an idea. Our builder told us our pool was around 16,000 using L x W by avg depth but I was lucky enough to have taken a meter reading before and after fill so I know the real number with in 50 gallons. I think the main reason he was so far off was ours too has a large Baja shelf. For fun I used an online volume calculator, divided the pool as if it were 3 different pools and I was within 300 gallons of the true volume.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.