Bronze Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My chlorinator does not show water flow (with the cover open) when I switch the pump suction valve to main drain position. It shows flow when the valve is switched to 'skimmers' position. I am not sure why this is happening. Any ideas? Thanks.

Where the water is sucked from should not have any impact on the chlorinator (which of course we rarely recommend using anyway).

Does the filter pressure change depending on main drain vs. skimmer suction?
Does the return jet strength change?

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

jblizzle, This old dog can learn a new new tricks. I added my signature along with other pertinent info. about the pool. Thanks for the suggestion. As I went back to look, the Chlorinator is not working. There is no pressure difference when switching from main to skimmers or halfway. I installed a new check valve at the suggestion of the pool store which did not help. I saw someone on youtube installing Pentair hi flow feed kit. It sounds like something I may need to try. I am still open for other suggestions/ideas.

I agree with JB that you should think about another mode of chlorination, but lets see if we can get the feeder working since it's already plumbed. Then you could at least use it for vacations, etc..

Has the feeder ever worked?

Does the pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is shut off?

Are you sure it's working when on skimmers?

Where in the system is the feeder plumbed?

Is the flow arrow pointed in the right direction?

If you take the tubing loose at the feeder does any water flow out of it?

another mode of chlorination- I assume that somewhere in the forum there are posts on alternate mode of chlorination. I will look into it.

[/COLOR][/COLOR]Has the feeder ever worked? Yes, for the longest time. I replaced the tabs regularly

Does the pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is shut off?-Yes

Are you sure it's working when on skimmers? It is not. It was temporary

Where in the system is the feeder plumbed? On the discharge side after the heater and before the three port valve directing the water to either the spa or the pool.

Is the flow arrow pointed in the right direction? Yes

If you take the tubing loose at the feeder does any water flow out of it?-Yes
Thanks for your help.

When you replaced the check valve did you make sure to install it in the correct orientation?

Did you clean out the base when you had the check valve out?

Have you checked to make sure the valve at the bottom is opening when you turn it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.