Water Test Results

Jun 5, 2016
Howell, MI
Been having trouble for days with our first pool. Finally got the first test done today. Here are the results-

Chlorine-over 16.86ppm
pH-8.3
Hardness-over 234ppm
Alkalinity-over 305ppm
CYA-2ppm

Recommended muriatic acid.

Will that help with the color? It's still murky, less brown more green now?

I have to be careful replying to your posts because your name is identical to my daughter's - first & last. :) Please confirm for us ... what test kit was used for those numbers? They don't seem to match what we would expect with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Pool store? Thanks!

Okay Samantha, you're going to hear this a lot here at TFP .... you must have your own proper test kit. :blah: We want you to have clear water all season, with minimal effort and minimal cost. Going to the pool store is the exact opposite of that I promise. Please, if you can, order the TF-100 test kit (link below). It also has Taylor reagent products in it and is great value that will last you all season if not more. I would recommend the "XL Option" and "Speed Stir" to mix like a pro. :stirpot: Everything we recommend for you is based on YOUR testing from that kit (or a Taylor K-2006C) and nothing else.

If you don't think you can order that kit right away, let me know and I'll try to steer you towards a temporary option. Not the best or ideal, but something.

Probably not something we want to purchase at this time.

Our biggest problem is the color. We've gotten all the iron build up off the bottom, definitely noticing less in the filter when we clean it. Now a greenish.
After reading some other posts, liquid chlorine/bleach is the way to go vs algaecide?

Ugh. Metals as well huh? Well, it's going to be tricky for you as you battle between metal content in the water and chlorine which at certain levels can cause the metal to react and precipitate out changing the water to green, brown, and/or staining the pool surfaces. Here's what I would recommend:
- Make sure to read the TFP Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page so you understand what you're up against
- Visit the Pool School page (link below) for some good basic info
- You can grab a relatively inexpensive HTH brand drop test set at Wal-Mart. It should be able to test pH, TA, and maybe even CH and CYA if you find the right one. On top of that though, you'll need the "FAS-DPD" powder & drops to test FC and CC as seen HERE. I would still recommend the entire TF-100, but if you're in a pinch right now, you need that.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.
EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE

We'll need to see some test results soon to really help give you some accurate advise. Keep us posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.