New Pool Build in SW Austin, TX - Pump problem - please help

jk7228

Jun 3, 2012
Austin, TX
After planning for a pool in 2012 and then deciding against it, we are now into the planning process again for a pool/spa combo. I have scheduled 4 PB's to come and measure for quotes. After getting the a quote from PB #1 I have many questions - mostly because the quote has very little information in it. Any suggestions for the below quote would be greatly appreciated.

PB#1 (all equipment is Pentair, but no model numbers were included in the quote)

Pool
32' x 17.5' (freeform)
85'8" perimeter - 398 sq ft
Depth (from top of gunite) 3.5' / 5.5' / 3.5'
60 sq ft tanning ledge with bubbler
Spa
7' round - 38 sq ft - 6 jets - raised 18" over pool coping

Shell 8-10" thick with 12" bond beam
Steel 10" o.c - #4 rebar - 10" o.c. both ways
Plaster - PebbleTec Sheen level 1 (we are thinking Blue Surf)

Pool Pipes - 2" schedule 40 PVC
1 skimmer, 4 returns, 2 main drains
Pump - 2 HP single speed
Heater - 250k BTU
Filter - Cartridge 320
Chlorine sanitizer
1 LED white light in pool and 1 in spa

Coping - Oklahoma flagstone
450 sq ft concrete deck with acrylic texture coating

Customer responsibilities
Hook up natural gas line to heater, alarms for door and windows per code, repair of fence/gate/sprinkler system, repair of access to yard

The quote does not include a cleaner, but the PB has an option to buy a Hayward Shark VAC for $750
He also gave us an option for a wireless controller for $1425, but that seems super high to me

Re: New Pool Build in SW Austin, TX

Few things that you may want to ask about:

Price per additional sq ft of decking
Price to upgrade to color LED lights (both pool and spa)
additional skimmer

My pool (in my sig) is very close in size to yours, and I have 750sq ft of decking....still wish I had a bit more.

Tucker - Do you have one color-changing LED light in your main pool? If so do you find that sufficient? That pool size seems to be nearing the point where two starts to become a question. Just asking for feedback to the OP. Thanks.

Definitely agree on color-changing versus white LED. They are awesome...and surprisingly so. I was wowed by ours.

I have 1 in the pool. It seems to cover everything just fine EXCPET for the tanning ledge (which is farthest from the light). I wish I would have had one put in up there, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Consider another skimmer, more returns, 400k btu heater, atleast a 2 speed pump if not a vs. we spent 2k on automation which has a pda and mobile app. Two lights would light it up great and the led upgrades are great especially if you entertain a bunch. 9 colors I think and 5 light shows are fun

brett

If your depth is from the top of the gunite, it seems that you might want to make your depths a little deeper as I would think you would want those to be water depth.

Thanks for the responses.

I met with a 2nd pool builder today who said he would recommend one halogen light for my pool. He said they are much brighter and have better light saturation. Any opinions on the halogens?

He also said I would need a 400k heater if I didn't want to wait 2 hours for the spa to heat up in the winter.

400K is the default heater size seen/recommended here for quick heat-up on a spa (he's correct). Halogen lights are yesterday's tech. Go with LED's. And definitely color-changing. A color-changing LED vs halogen is like a smartphone vs a rotary dial phone. Technically he's right on the light (brighter/more saturation) but in reality, color changing LED is way more awesomer, more efficient and won't make your pool look like it's from the 90's.

I have an LED light on my tanning ledge.. love it
I have 2 LED in my Pool and love the extra light

Get a VS pump and automation

Extra Skimmer

Make them include connecting the gas line to the heater. I don't see what that should be excluded from the bid

Make them repair damage to the yard for pool access. Graded top soil at a minimum. Sprinkler repair is probably best left to have your own contractor repair/replace later.

Contractor to bring fence to code.

That seems expensive for a controller.. I have the Pentair Easytouch Iphone app and love it. Perhaps the $1425 is because they also have to add in automation system plus the controller?

400k heater

Sound like fun.

Go LED all the way. I wish I had 2 lights but I don't think I would have wanted to spend the extra money since the builders charge around a $1000 per one. With that in mind, one is probably enough. :)

Chlorine Sanitizer - What is this? I am guessing it is a puck feeder. Either do nothing and feed daily with bleach or get a salt water generator (SWG). It produces Chlorine gas using a chemical reaction of some kind using salt. My vote is for the SWG but it will probably be a up charge.

Pump - Single speed is so old... :) I would go with the variable speed all the way. I love the control that I have. Normal operation is virtually silent and uses the same electricity as a few light bulbs. A single speed will be alot more than that. At least a 2 speed.

Depending on the design for your sun sheld, consider 2 bubblers. We started with one but the builder suggested 2 and we are very glad for that. It is probably less than $15 in parts and less than a hour of extra work to install.

I would consider 3.5 x 5 x 4. That is what we decided on and it is just about perfect. We definitely like the 4' end. That is actually where the kids play the most.

I would recommend that you ask the builder to do a Easytouch 4 or 8 with SWG included. There is a notable savings when they are bundled. In my case, I calculated that the Easytouch 4 with SWG was the same cost as the manual style timer and separate SWG and control boxes. Plus you get tons more features.

I opted for a wired remote on the Easytouch that is on my back porch rather than wireless. It was less $ and no concern of the wireless working or not. Even though my control box is right outside of my pool, I am often at the control box in the evening and in FL in my area, mosquitos are no fun so I really like having the control inside the screen enclosure and easy for everyone else to use the controller.

Don't bother with the cleaner from the PB. In hindsight, I wish I did not get mine (suction side Pentair Sandshark) and would have gotten a robot. It would be so much easier but they are more expensive. In your case, $750 would probably get you a nice robot from Amazon or from a online pool store. You don't need hte PB for that. That being said, you still will want a suction port to use a manual cleaner or you could just use your skimmer for that.

Hope this helps a little. Easy to spend your money. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The drawing doesn't include the covered patio area that extends from the left of the house to the 3rd window and out to the end of the bbq pit area. I'm thinking about having him shift the whole pool to the left so the deck lines up more with the left side of the house. I have a meeting with PB 4 today and am still waiting on a design from PB 3. After that we will be sorting through the bids to make our decision.

Here is what is included in PB #2 quote:

Pool - 30' x 17', 80 perimeter ft, 384 square ft, depth 3.5'/5'/4', 36 sq ft sunshelf with 2 bubblers and umbrella sleeve
Gunite - 8-10" walls and floor, 12" beam
Spa - 7' diameter raised 18" - 6 jets with 1HP blower - 1 spillover
Pebble Sheen (Blue Surf), standard waterline tile, flagstone coping
Equipment (all Pentair) - Variable speed pump, 520 cartridge filter, 400k heater, KK Racer w/ booster, EasyTouch PS-8 with Screen logic bundle
2 skimmers, 4 returns, overfill line, 1 amerilite in pool, 1 amerilite in spa, 300w transformer, all gas lines and electrical included
362 ft of Sundek with 2 umbrella sleeves

I plan to ask for a robot instead of the KK, and I want to upgrade to LED lights. Is there anything else I'm missing?

I would skip the KK Racer and Booster Pump and buy the robotic cleaner outright yourself. The PB will mark up the price and you can get it cheaper. Also, have the PB run you a suction line in case you need to do some manual cleaning. Good Luck!

Met PB 3 today. I like his design the best so far, but I want the spa round. Thoughts on this design?

This pool is 32x15 / 3.5/5.5/4 / 16,000 gallons
2 led lights in pool, 1 in spa
CLI Crystalstones smooth in Caribbean Blue
VS pump, 1HP water feature pump, cartridge filter, 400k heater, PS 8 controller with handheld spa remote
444 sq ft of deck (sundek)

View attachment 50561

Is that a patio cover at the 'bottom' of the picture? I like this design better than the one from PB #2, especially if it gives more length. I like the shape of the spa in this one. It flows nicely with the rest of the lines of the pool - almost a flip of the main pool shape which is interesting. I have a round spa and wouldn't mind a bit if it were elongated. I can see why the designer used that instead of a round spa to give as much deck space as possible. A round spa at this spot on this design would either make you lose pool width or deck space unless you can push the entire design back towards the fence. A small bench might be nice at the 'top' (in this photo) of the pool.

Yes, that is the patio cover at the bottom left of the picture. This PB didn't give me a pdf file, so all I have is the paper.

The wall at the top of the picture is there to deal with the slope of our yard. It will be about 14 inches out of the ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.