Newbie with Intex Pool - help needed...

jotrud

May 19, 2009
Lowell, MA
Hello All,
This is my first post here but am having some issues. Year 2 just put up the pool and the ring has a small tear in it. I patched it this morning before work so hopefully it will be fine when I get home tonight. I have the 18' x 48" Intex Blow Up Pool ( I call it the Walmart Bag! )

Anyway, I have bought a new filter (stronger one) although I don't have the info on it here. I used it last year and it blew out the cover where the water comes back into the pool. I don't think (know if) that that is bad but please correct me if I'm wrong. As I did leave it off for the rest of last year.

My issue is with the floating skimmer; I can't seem to get it to stay down (in it's correct position not lying on it's side) it tends to want to float up and then I am catching air. Last year I actually zip tied the hose to itself in order for it to stay put which seemed to work but that to me doesn't seem correct.

My main issue is when I have the pump on a timer and if i'm not there to catch it the basket floats up and will eventually break the filter. I have searched all over the internet and haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Does anyone have a suggestion.

My friend suggested placing a rock in the basket to help is stay put but again do I really want a rock in the pool. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Thank you for your reply,

I just can't see putting a rock in the pool but I guess I will have to do that. But I just can't seem to understand that no one else has this problem.

The filter is Krystal Clear Model 633 Filter Pump. This thing blows some air back in the pool and as I posted earlier it blew the return cover (screen) right off. Is there something I should do or will it be okay to leave it off?

Also the patch held up - Yay!!

Thank you.

jotrud said:
Another question... My sister said something about wrapping the filter hoses in black electrical tape to help keep the water heated. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I doubt that's going to make enough difference to be worth the effort.

We had that problem when we had an Intex pool. We put a couple of two inch stainless balls in a plastic container, filled the rest of the way with water, put the lid on, and tied the complete contraption onto the skimmer hose. I also second the opinion that the black tape around the hoses will not make much if any difference. Hope this helps get the creative juices flowing. Later, Calvin.

Thank you for the reply, I am not sure what I have that I could use, however, creative juices running I am now thinking of the golf club weights that I bought yesterday, I could do something with those. Thank you.

Also do you know with these pools is it possible to purchase a longer hose? edited - MikeInTN I was trying to hide the pump in the bushes but the hoses are just a tad two small. Maybe another 2 or 3 feet? I actually have extra hoses due to the fact that I purchased another filter, so can I hook those up together somehow?? And if so then it will be too long (You know never satisfied!!!) but that I can deal with.

Also I hate to be a pain but I think the Walmart bag is kind of yucky to look at, do you know or have you seen any pictures trying to hide it or spruce it up or what kind of plants would you suggest to place near the pool?

Ok so I am going to be a pain.. I keep looking at this pooldevil and think that it is something that I may want to purchase. Do you know if it will fit the pool right out of the box or are there attachments and stuff that I would need to do? Again thank you for all your help.

Before I moved away from Houston, I had an 18'x48" Intex inflatable-ring pool with the 'can' skimmer also. What I found was that there was always some twist to the flex hose which kept the skimmer from sitting at the right attitude. I could rotate the tubing a bit and make it work. I would grab the flex hose just below the can, and twist it a little on the can fitting and actually adjust the positioning of the skimmer like that. With the skimmer can hanging about 10" or so away from the fitting in the side of the pool, I could make it angle forward or back or however I wanted it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you don't use bromine, ignore the "Br" number.

The TF100 has several more tests and we like to see all the results: TA, CH, CYA. Without CYA we can't tell whether your FC is okay. TA and CH will help us figure out if you might have scale or pH issues.
--paulr

Vinyl doesn't care if it's low but you can still get scaling if it's too high. Sometimes fill water has high CH. In Mass. it's unlikely to be high but it's worth doing the test once. Note the CH test is very slow, really swirl 20-30 sec between drops.

You need more CYA; shoot for 30-50ppm.
--paulr

pH 7.2, TA 60, CH 100, should be fine. Keep an eye on the pH you don't want it any lower than that, keeping it stable at 7.5 seems to work best. If your pH tends to drop then you should increase the TA.
--paulr

To be truthful I have only added about 3/4 bottle of bleach last night and that is all that has been in it since last Sunday. The pool is very clear and I will add stabilizer but is it ok to swim in today before I add the stabilizer? Although still at 68 degrees it may not be an issue:).

I am starting the BBB method (since last night)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.