Cloudy water

Jun 6, 2016
parlin
I'm regretting getting this pool and spending all this money on it. It cost a lot to buy and install and it's been nothing but problem after problem. We had one or 2 days of crystal clear water, then cloudy water and algae. I'm so done with it.
Anyways, we had algae last week, right after memorial day. We got a ton of rain and then my brother in law was in it and said it felt slimy. Sure enough a day or 2 later, you could see it. :( that Friday, my husband vacuumed the pool, still there but it did pick up some. The next day, we had some electric work done on our home and the guy was s pool guy. My husband said the tests he does every other day, the numbers are all good and the guy said to get the water tested for phosphates. We did and it was low. Leslies said the chlorine was good, at home recreation said it was low. We've had that issue with it being low bc we have the tablets in the floater but started putting a few more tablets in it. That day, my husband scrubbed the pool to get the algae. Sunday night, he shocked it. There is stuff on the floor of the pool. Not sure if it's algae or dirt. Need to get in it to see. But the pool is still cloudy after the shock. My husband says after the shock it may take a few days to clear up. It's Wednesday. Stuff on the bottom of the pool and it's cloudy. It just looks gross. He says we can go in, but I'm not taking my 2 year old daughter in that. It just looks gross. I'm just so fed up and crying bc all my daughter wants to do everyday is go in the pool and she can't :( I'll post pics once i go back out there.

Hi Beth,
Well you came to the right place. We can help.
The probelm is that your pool chemical balance is way out of whack. Forget what the pool store told you, most of them have very little knowledge of how to keep a pool clear and sparkly. Their main interest is selling you stuff you dont need, and their testing is usually out of whack too.

You need to first, be able to test your own water with your own reliable test kit. There are two on the market which are reliable. The tf-100 and the Taylor K2006C. You cant get these in the pool store, but you can get them online.
TFTestkits.net or amazon. At the start, you'll need to do a lot of testing to get this cleared up.

Please fill out your signature. We need to know how many gallons of water you have and which type of pump and filter. Those things matter greatly for those of who want to give you advice. If you don't know how many gallons it is, tell us the pool dimensions and we'll calculate it for you.
Under the pool school button, click "settings" then the left side of the page, scroll down until you find "edit signature" and click it. Then type in all of the pool info that you know and click save.

Next, please click on the Pool School button and read the ABC's of pool chemistry. Its useful to know what each pool parameter is, and how one works with another.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

After you read that, read how to SLAM your pool. (Shock Level And MAINTAIN). This is what you will need to do in order to clear up your pool. And, there are no shortcuts to the slam. You'll have to keep at it until your pool is completely clear and clean.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Beth, I wanted to chime in and say you'll have no reason to regret getting your pool once the experts here help you out. If you follow their directions to the T you will have your pool cleared up and you will be set to keep it that way for the whole summer. These methods work, and will save you money. Once you get your test kit you won't have much need of the pool store. Being able to test on your own is important - it all seems overwhelming at first, but once you get started it is fairly easy.

Post pics, ask questions, follow the advice of the experts here. Your two year old will be swimming in no time (and your brother-in-law will be shocked by your clear water ;))!

Thank you pigeon and Divin Dave. I have updated my signature so hopefully when I post it will show. I took some pictures a few minutes ago. I think I will order the test kit from Amazon. Right now, we have test strips only. Good to know about the store....when we went to At Home Recreation, they did a computer test of the water, Leslie's did a test similar to the TF Test Kits. I remember watching her putting in dyes or whatever they are. But I'll get our own per your advice.2016-06-08 10.50.24.jpg2016-06-08 10.49.48.jpg2016-06-08 10.49.05.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, something went wrong with my signature and it didn't post but it should now. Here's what the pool looked like on Memorial Day Weekend2016-05-31 13.40.21.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That pic with my feet was the day my brother in law felt the slimy stuff. 2016-05-28 13.43.47.jpg

Great choice. You will save a little money buying the TF-100 direct from TFTestkits.net and if you like toys (I do) there are some other options - I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy. I admit I'm an Amazon Prime addict, but Amazon takes a big bite out of the sale, so things cost more there when you are dealing with a small business.

Looking at your photos you are way ahead of most folks who show up here. You can see the bottom......

Cleaned out my purse and found this. I know it's not the testing this forum likes, but i figured i would at least post it. I showed my husband a thread with the numbers you are looking for (cya etc) but he didn't know what it was. We have the test strips that came with the pool chemicals. Not sure if these are anything you would need to determine the issue with the pool? Figured this could help until the test kit comes in.

- - - Updated - - -

2016-06-08 20.15.57.jpg

Same thing happened to me last year when I first got a pool. Started clean and clear, then turned cloudy.

Before I found this sight

bug cloudy.jpg

After I found this site. Now my pool really is trouble free and I control EVERYTHING that goes in it.

bug comp.jpg

It's not hard once you figure it out. These folks will help you!

Wow, I love the floor/liner on your pool!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I'm also frustrated bc I have a ton going on right now that I didn't want to add this to my mind. My husband had a pool before so he said it'll be fine. Since i handle everything (control freak) i didn't want another thing on my plate. Then all this is going wrong by nature i want to fix this. So now it's on me. This is like a crash course for me now. :) he's hardly ever home bc of work so it's either i research and do it or everything waits till the weekend. I have no patience so I'll just do it lol

You found the right place!!
Once you get your testing kit (make sure you order SpeedStir)
And get all your numbers straight
You'll love your pool!!!!
These folks will save you money and frustration!!
Luckily I found this site before we got our pool.
so our pool started out Crystal Clear and continues to be.
We even open our pool every spring to Crystal Clear water!!
How about that?!?!?!

Good luck!! :lovetfp:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, i just have to wait to get the test kit. I may go to the store tomorrow to get it that way i have it asap. Here's what we have on terms of test strips
Ph 7.2 should be normal
Free chlorine 1/2 which is ok
Total alkalinity 120 which is under ok.
Hubby is home and about to hop in the pool and lawn cutters are here lol.

I keep seeing the Taylor 2005 model online and in stores, is that one comparable to the 2006 C ? That seems to be the onlyone I can get asap
Negative, the 2005 is a DPD kit with a chlorine test that does not go high enough. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The K-2006-C is the kit that has the FAS/DPD chlorine test you want if you have to go with Taylor.

Oh that figures :( can't find them anywhere in stock around here :( i wonder if i should slam the pool in the meantime?

- - - Updated - - -

Taylor Technologies 81329 Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. They also have this one? Ugh. I guess tomorrow I'll be going store to store, or calling to see if they have that 2006c in stock

Oh that figures :( can't find them anywhere in stock around here :( i wonder if i should slam the pool in the meantime?
It will be next to impossible to do without the proper test kit. TFTestkits ships the Tf-100 out of Raleigh, NC and if you are in Parlin, NJ you would have it in a couple of days if you order tonight.

Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

Should i begin the SLAM process in the meantime? When we shocked, we had the granular shock, not liquid. I'm guessing the liquid is more potent. If i should start the SLAM process I'll order from the site tonight. I just thought i needed to do that test kit prior to SLAM

The 81329 is the equivalent of the K-2006A and is super expensive for what you get. It has what you need, but in very small quantities. Unless you have money to burn, I would wait and order a bigger kit as outlined above. For now, you could add a half jug of bleach everyday until your kit arrives.

Ok. I guess i can do that then. I just hate to wait lol. Question about the bleach. Where exactly do i put it? Do i spread it around or one spot by the skimmer? Complete newbie here
I generally recommend pouring slowly in front of a return so it gets pushed out into the bulk pool water quickly. You can brush the bottom a couple of time to make sure noting is pooling at the bottom. Pouring in front of or in a skimmer causes highly chlorinated water to go through your equipment, not good sometimes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.