Equipment suggestions

Aug 17, 2015
Hernando/Florida
When we purchased our home we were told that our filter was to small for the pool. I would like to upgrade the pump, filter, add an SWG and possibly add solar heating in the future. What type of equipment do you guys prefer or suggest for my particular setup. I am looking for the best bang for the buck type setup. Below are my specs:

Pool volume 8000 Gallons

Average feet of head 70.5

Pipe size 1 1/2 inch

Current electric charges:

Energy charge
First 1000 KWH $7.00600
Above 1000 KWH $8.36800

Fuel charge
First 1000 KWH $2.67900
Above 1000 KWH $3.67900

Total bill for this month $152.68

Here is my current setup:
KBfMjuT.jpg

PgRRUde.jpg

8Z0r2Zf.jpg

T5RrPe8.jpg

I would appreciate any input. Thanks guys.

I can sure think of what I would do with your money, but I'm wondering what your objective is. Is the equipment not cleaning the pool properly? Or were you wanting to reduce operating cost? Does any of it seem to be near end-of-life? Were you wanting iPhone automation or something like that? If it's operating cost, it might be challenging to save back the replacement cost in a decent period. Maybe shed a little more light on your goals/preferences and others will chip in, I'm sure. I was also wondering if the electric bill is for your house and the pool for a month?

I agree we need more information on your goals. Also as to the need for a larger filter, a lot depends on how the current filter is performing, it does appear on the small end of sizing, but you do have a fairly small pool, how often are you having to clean it now? A larger cartridge filter will not clean any better than your current one (assuming there are no problems with it), instead it will just let you go longer between cleaning the filter cartridge.

The next question is what type of filter would be best for you, a Cartridge filter like you have now, a sand filter, or a DE filter, each of the three can be a valid choice depending on your specific situation, local conditions, etc. For example sand filters use lots of water to backwash so are poor choices in locations that are on water restrictions, or have poor drainage with no place for the discharge water to go. DE filters are similar, use less water to backwash, but waste DE discharge can be prohibited in some ecologically sensitive areas, and is not allowed to enter some sewer systems. You will find people that back each type, the question is which is right for you.

Now if you want to know what I would pick off the top of my head without more information here goes, since you have all Hayward equipment lets stick with that brand:

Hayward MaxFlo VS pump All in One with relay connections (there is also a MaxFlo VS Stand Alone without relay connections)

Assuming a cartridge filter is appropriate, then a larger cartridge filter probably from the Hayward Swimclear line

Hayward AuaRite SWG probably with the T-9 cell which is oversized for your pool, but will let you minimize pump run time and save money in the long run.

There is no need to replace your timer as the MaxFlo VS has a built in timer and the relay control All in One version will easily interface with future solar pool heat you may add.

Ike

p.s. On the topic of Solar heaters, I like my Techno-Solis panels, they seem solidly constructed, I am going on 3 years with them now with no problems, they are also made very near you in Tampa.

Hey thanks for the input guys. Needsajret, yes that is my 30 day billing period total for the month of May. My goal is to get a setup that is low maintenance. I would also like to get some equipment that would reduce operating cost. For my setup should I go for a variable speed pump or a two stage pump? Does it make sense to upgrade my pump or should I just keep what I have? In other words will I actually save any money getting a VS or two stage pump?

I notice when I vacuum I get halfway through the pool and the vacuum starts to lose suction. The reason for this though is that I am currently dealing with an algae issue and the algae seems to be clogging my filter. My CYA is way to high which most likely caused the problem. I recently purchased the Dolphin Oasis Z5 which helps when it comes to vacuuming. I would like to stick with a cartridge filter if you guys think I should upgrade in size.

Isaac I priced the Hayward Maxflo VS pump and there seems to be a $150 difference between the Hayward SP2302VSP and the Hayward SP2303VSP what is the difference?

When it comes to solar these guys advertise a lot in my area but I haven't really looked into what brand solar they offer.
Central Florida Solar Energy Provider | Solar Lights & More

Sorry to hear about the algae. If you follow this procedure, your maintenance will drop a lot: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I'll stay out of the equipment choices. You've got a great resource in Isaac for that!

I can only offer some perspective on filter, which you can use or discard relative to your specific needs. We filtered lots of water with every option in the book in my old work life, and in terms of low-maintenance, sand filter is the go, barring a wastewater limitation. Not counting something like a SLAM, and for my 12,000 gal pool, I only backwash after rain when I need to drop the water level anyway, so cost isn't a factor for me. Including rinse, it takes me 3.5 minutes at around 60 GPM - so 210 gallons, which would cost me ~$2 if I bought the water, maybe $10 a year. I plumbed to my sewer with an air gap, which is code here. Lots of people have a flexible hose and run it to a rainwater drain, not strictly kosher but no one seems to cares. Some people water the lawn with it, but my hort/ag background says don't put salt on soil, and my daughter killed her buffalo grass with an overflow from a saltwater pool. Just a few thoughts for perspective, and not to be perceived as a recommendation - Isaac will cover it way better than I can.

It appears that the SP2302VSP is the second generation model and the SP2303VSP is the new 3rd generation model, looking online briefly I can't seem to find the 2nd generation owners manual just the 1st and 3rd generation manual (the hayward site only seems to have the 3rd generation manual for all max flow VS pumps). I did however find the SP2302VSP sales sheet (can't find a SP2303VSP sales sheet though) and it seems to show a different layout for the version 2 control panel (less ergonomic button layout), shows flippable control panel, but does not mention remote wall mounting that is shown in the version 3 manual, also version 2 speed range appears to be 600-3000 rpms vs 600-3450 rpms for the version 3. Not sure what else has changed, but overall it looks like version 3 is better. The sales sheet does not explicitly mention relay control on the version 2, even though it is mentioned elsewhere.

Ike

p.s. a bit more digging finds the version 2 owners manual at http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/maxflo-vs-IS2302VSP.pdf

It looks like V2 has 3 quick set speeds, V3 has 4,

V2 has simple 1 line 7 or 8 character display screen, V3 has 2 line x 24+ character screen so much more verbose text

V2 appears to have limited external control interface, some of the graphics are corrupt on my pdf viewer though.

Hey Isaac, I plugged in my numbers on the Hayward site and it looks like the pump would pay for itself in about three years. Quick question, how many turnovers a day should I be doing? I have an 8000 gallon pool which I am currently running the single speed pump at 8 hours a day. Is this to much?

lDMugyG.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would not call it a good write up, maybe a good intro at least for 1 speed pumps, the problems I see are first of all the billing KWH is often not what you pay since that is before fuel adjustment / surcharge and all sorts of other per KWH fees, then of course there is the question if tiered billing depending on where you live prime and non-prime operating hours, ... Also data plate amp draw is worst case, real world can often be 10-15% lower. Plus it still leaves out comparing to 2 speed and variable speed pumps where the amp draw will vary with pump run speed and so will GPM of output which will be determined by your individual plumbing head pressure.

As to the filter, you have a fairly small pool, so your filter is not so much terribly under sized as it is not over sized, although it is marginal for the flow rate of your current pump which is a bit oversized for the pool, this would be less of an issue with a variable or 2 speed pump running at low speed. Having said that you live in central Florida with a very long swim season even without a pool heater, so personally I would go with as large of filter as I felt comfortable budgeting in order to make filter cleaning a rare chore. With the filter you have now I suspect you likely need to clean it about once per month, this will vary depending on the amount of debris that gets into your water and hence your filter, so may be every 2 weeks or every 2 months, this is where experience with your pool helps in determining filter sizing.

Personally I am a big fan of sizing filters to only need to be cleaned twice per year, typically at the beginning and end of swim season, or every 6 months or so in the case of pools that are open year round. For one thing it keeps you from being out cleaning the filters in the heat of summer or on the coldest day of the year, which I know is not all that cold in central Florida, but can be cold enough that you don't want to be outside soaking wet cleaning a cartridge filter. So far your pool not knowing the typical debris loading, I would probably pick Hayward C2030 or possibly the C3030 if I were going with a cartridge filter assuming I would be sticking with all Hayward equipment. These are both very popular filters on this site and seem to have a good reputation. Having said all that they are both in the $500+ range, and if budget is more important to you than frequency of filter cleaning, the filter you have now does work and is not terribly undersized.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.